Color Bled on a Sweater

I borrowed an off white sweater that is 80% cotton and 20% polyester. I was carrying my black sweater that was completely soaked and it rubbed against the off white sweater and bled into it. So far I've used baking soda and vinegar and it didn't work. Please help!

By Leslie from Seattle, WA

Best Answer

You might have to take it to a dry cleaner.

November 6, 2010 Flag

I've got a red, black, and white sweater. It's old and I've washed it a lot. The colors stay just fine. Today I didn't think and washed my sweater with new red sheets. Now the white stripes are pink.

What can I do to get the transferred dye off, without hurting the color of the sweater? Will OxiClean work for me or is there something else?

By MsBeater from CA

Color Bled on a Sweater

Depending on the fiber, you may be able to use a dye remover [Rit], which should leave the manufacturer's dye intact. It may change color as it goes through process. Don't panic. I had tan pants for work and got ink on them. I got a box of dye remover and it turned the pants lavender as it went through the cycle in machine, but then turned back to tan.

Read box to see if okay to use on your fiber. (01/01/2010)

December 31, 2009 Flag

I accidentally washed a light blue sweater with a red sports bra, (sweater made of silk, nylon and spandex) and the sweater got stained. What can I use to take the stains out?

Franny from Reno, NV

Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.
Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 6, 2010
Cardigan made from altering a sweater.
Make a Cardigan From a Sweater
Purse from an Old Sweater
Making a Sweater Purse or Bag
Ugly Sweater Party Ideas
Ugly Sweater Party Ideas
Washing Machine
Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer