Book About a Boy Who Became a Cat

I would love to find a novel written before 1960 about a boy who became a cat. The boy's name is Peter, he desperately wants a cat, chases one into the street, has an accident, and wakes up as a cat. He is befriended by a female cat named Jenny who teaches him all about being a cat. They go on board a ship and have all sorts of adventures.

It ends with the boy waking up in the hospital, crying for Jenny, and he is finally given a cat of his own. I know this is pretty lame but it really is a terrific story that I want to read to my daughter. If anyone has information about this story, or an online resource for finding book names, etc. I would be very grateful.

Kind regards.
Lori

Try "Jenny" by Paul Gallico

I found what you are looking for. The previous post had the author, but wrong title. The title is called 'Abandoned'. The website is http://www.Alibris.com

Good luck.

Thank you both so much! This is the book I was looking for. It was first published in England under the title of 'Jenny' and then published in the US as The Abandoned. My mother is thrilled, she will be getting a copy also. Again--I really appreciate your kindness in responding.--Lori

It's hard to find a book if you don't know the name or the author, I wish I could help you. :)