Homemade Soup Noodles

contest winner icon

To make wonderful noodles for your soup, etc., here's how easy it is! For a medium amount (serving six):

• Crack 2 eggs, and put the yolks in a medium size bowl. Add one half egg shell of milk for each egg, and 1/2 to 1 tsp. salt. Whisk together till smooth. You can add dried parsley to the mix, if you want.

• Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring each addition till the dough leaves the side of the bowl.

• Turn dough onto a well-floured surface, knead till smooth. Shape into a flat circle.

• Keeping entire surface floured, roll dough out as thin as possible. Turn a few times to keep the dough floured.

• Use a pizza cutter to make 2-3 inch strips. Cover with a clean towel and let dry for a few hours.

• Stack 3-4 strips together, using more flour if necessary, and cut into noodles. Loosely separate with hands, and let sit until ready to cook.

• Add noodles into your favorite boiling broth, a handful at time, stirring as you go. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until noodles are tender.

My favorite way to use these noodles is to make a thick chicken noodle soup and serve over mashed potatoes. I think a lot of people are afraid to make noodles, but it'd be hard to mess this recipe up! You just need to start ahead of time. It could be made in the morning, cut the long 2-3 inch strips, cover, and come home to fresh noodles ready for your broth!

Source: This is my favorite comfort food, and I got the recipe straight from my grandmother, who would have a pot of chicken noodle soup waiting for us when we would go visit. I think it's fun to measure the milk with the egg shell, feels so 'homemaker-ish'.

When I make my noodles (egg yolk only) I also make a angel food cake (egg whites only). No egg is wasted. My family automatically knows if we have noodles, we have cake.

Home made noodles taste soooo much better!

These noodles look very easy to make, but you don't tell exactly how much flour to use. Can you please tell us how much to use? Thank you!

Down South we call these noodles dumplings and make chicken and dumplings, great comfort food.

Have you ever used whole wheat flour?

In answer to a few questions--yes, I think whole wheat flour would work, but I'd try half white and half whole wheat first. About how much flour to use, about 1 cup per egg. Enjoy, and don't be afraid to experiment! That's the fun of cooking. :o) MamaKim

Can you store them and for how long? Thank you

This is my kind of recipe! I have old recipes calling for "a piece of butter the size of an egg" and things like that. They are more like formulas than recipes, but they sure do work. I am going to try your recipe, which is just a little different than my mother's recipe. She would make a real good chicken broth and cook the noodles in the broth. She'd serve the chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes, corn, and cole slaw, and I'd always spoon my noodles over the mashes - boy is that good!

Now I make the same meal, but, like you, I add veggies to the broth, celery, a little onion, and carrots. You have my vote.

Upclose photo of egg noodles.
Homemade Egg Noodles Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes PastasSeptember 23, 2008
Pool Noodles
Uses for Pool Noodles
Chicken and Noodles
Chicken and Noodles Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Homemade Noodles
Making Homemade Noodles
🎉
🎄