FurnitureHome Improvement

Take the "Slip" out of Slipcovers

Category Furniture

This is a way you can make a slipcover for furniture that doesn't slip. Use the dollar store version of barkeepers shelf liner, the kind of a rubbery web usually found on a roll. Lay this on cushions and along the back head rest, then add slipcover. No more slip.

By Thyra C.

I do not understand this. I want to try it, but think I need more details. I do not understand what product to buy (not quite sure what shelf liners you're referring to) and I am not sure about the process after that either. Can you help? Thanks!

Hi Shannah,

I think she is talking about a shelf liner like this:

http://www.duck  =23&plid=500

It has a rubber like finish and no adhesive on it.

I think the mats that you put under area rugs and scatter rugs to keep them in one place would work too. I have been thinking about trying this under my queen size mattress. My mattress has a tendency to slide to one side of the bed.

I notice redhatterb's post was Sept'09, but thought I'd add an updated version. Hope she tried it, I'm sure it works/worked. My friend was grumbling because her queen-size mattress kept sliding off the box springs when they'd sit up in bed to read or watch tv or such...they have no headboard, so it sits alone on the floor. I had a small chunk of this stuff that I'd used to line drawers to keep utensils an' such from getting tangled, so we put it across the top end between mattress & box springs to test it. It held fairly well, but hubby had to boost the mattress back up a bit once. I've got some more in storage somewhere, so we'll try adding more soon. A thin sheet of foam rubber would do, too, can find in bed-size sheets I'm sure. Or them egg-carton type mattress pads would work, too. Anything to be rid of the slip-n-slide problems is very welcome!

This shelf liner also works to keep fitted sheets in place. It works best to just sew a triangle in each corner of the sheets.

I have a slip cover on my wing chair. Every time when we sit on it the cushion seams to move and I have to always straighten it out. Is there a homemade solution that I can get to stick in between the seat and the back of the chair.

By Angela C. from Berkeley Heights, NJ

Roll up some magazines or quite a bit of newspaper (shorter side) and close them shut with duct tape or masking tape (something heavy duty)and stick them in the back and sides of the chair (not visible, one on each side, one in the back, although you may not overall need that many, experiment). This holds the covers in place much better.

Does the cover have a ruffle or pleat around the bottom? If so, take the cover off and sew a piece of heavy fabric tape around the top of the ruffle seam. Then take a staple gun and staple the cover to the chair. The tape keeps the cover from tearing.

My mother used very tightly rolled newspapers pushed between the back and the cushion of the chair. Good luck

I cut small-diameter pvc pipes the correct lenght to push down between the cushions and back of my sofa as well as between the cushion and arms. Nothing will keep a slip cover straight forever but the pvc pipe worked better than anything else for me.