Macaroni and Spam

This is an economical recipe for those who need an inexpensive meal. First put on water to boil for 16 oz package of macaroni. Put one cup of celery and one medium onion in food processor to cut up. Saute in olive oil until soft. Add one large can of tomato soup or two small ones and some basil to taste. Add two cups water or chicken broth to mixture and simmer. You may add more liquid if it looks like you will need it.

In the meantime cut one can of spam into small pieces and brown in skillet. After tomato soup mixture has simmered about 15 minutes, add spam, salt and pepper, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and stir until cheese melts. Add cooked, drained macaroni and serve.

There is also low fat spam now for those watching their fat intake, as well as low fat cheese. Fast, easy and inexpensive. My children always enjoyed this when they were small. If you have never tried spam this dish you will probably like very much.

By Nelliemary from West Virginia

Be forewarned, that macaroni and cheese is one of the worst foods for your heart, due to its incredibly high sodium content.

Spam is not only high in sodium, but also clogs your arteries. A more economical and healthy meal would be a salad...because saving money short-term and incurring medical expenses long-term isn't a savings.

Heart disease is the #1 killer of women in this country. A sobering statistic that makes you think twice about what you eat. :(

Spam is not economical at ALL, and it is full of fat and salt! Apound of ground beef or a couple nice big chicken breasts is only a few cents more than a can of spam. Why would I use processed food when I can have fresh? I'm not sure how the myth that spam is cheaper than other meats got started, but it needs to be put to rest.

A lighter note about Spam. During W.W.2 in England. food was rationed severely. Fresh meat was a once a week treat. Then the U.S. sent us Spam and similar canned meats which we used for all kinds of "gourmet" meals. To this day - and I am 80 years old amd healthy - I still love fried Spam. Anything in moderation is O.K. so enjoy your Spam occasionally, Joan from Chesterfield, MI

It seems to me that some get a bit too hyper over a spam recipe. Ground beef is just as bad for you as spam is. If you have never tried spam you cannot give an opinion. I am nearly 70 and in good health and no one in my family has heart disease. I garden and eat fresh veggies all the time and fruit. We often have salads and I am not saying not to have them. My father-in-law served in WW2 and spam was added to their c-rations. He loved eating this in the field and often had his wife fix it for the family after he came home. Thus my husband had me make it for him. I like it very much and my sons enjoyed this dish after ball practice. It is a very filling dish and onions, celery and tomatoes are healthy, cheese has its place and most kids like macaroni. Like the other lady said, all things in moderation. Good health to all!

I grew up in the 50's. Spam and Mom's homemade mac n cheese were one of our favorites. I still enjoy it today. I agree with you NellieMary, all things in moderation and choices to all. :)

We don't eat Spam very often but when we do, it is a treat. I slice it and batter the slices in flour and fry it until brown and crispy on the outside. Delicious.

Food and Recipes Recipes PastasMarch 6, 2009
Macaroni Salad With Chopped Peppers on Top
Macaroni Salad Recipes
can of spam
Recipes Using Spam
Chicken Macaroni Salad
Chicken Macaroni Casserole Recipes
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes