Using Diatomaceous Earth for Tape Worms in Cats

My daughter has an 18 year old cat (Princess) that has been troubled with tape worms. She bought some of the diatomaceous earth and has been mixing this in her food for about 2 weeks. She says there are live worms in Princess's stool and I wondered if anyone can tell us how long it may take to rid her of these worms.

By cyber from Ocala, FL

Anonymous

No offense but home remedies do not always work for tape worms and Princess should be getting medication from a vet and especially because of her age and then the worms will be gone in a day or two that way! Princess isn't getting enough nutrition because the worms are eating it. :-(

Hello and thanks for the advice.

Perhaps a little background info would be helpful. Princess is one of 3 sisters born to a "stray" in May of 1992. My family loves animals and cannot stand to see anyone go hungry. We feed strays and try to find homes but if not possible, we drive 40 miles to another county that has a "no kill" shelter (and they are who gets our generous donations).

The 3 sisters have been in our family since 1992 and are very well loved and cared for. We lost one sister (Pumpkin) to cancer at the age of 16 and we still miss her today.

One sister (Bootowful) belongs to my son and is in excellent health. She has not seen a vet since she was 2 years old and is still going strong. My son sees that she has everything she needs and much, much more. He is 56 yrs old and still single and she is his favorite companion. It was love at first sight and has lasted through the years with no regrets I am sure. We do use "home" remedies but indoor kiddies do not generally have many problems if cared for properly.

Pumpkin was the homely one but loved me and was my constant companion. She was an "attack" cat where I was concerned. Very protective. It was a very sad 6 months (and 800+ dollars) that we had to watch as she deteriorated with no cure in site. She was in no pain and I hand fed her with an eye dropper for the last 2 months. She was still chipper and still loving when she could no longer swallow her food. Letting her go was one of the hardest things I have had to do in 75 years on this earth. I still miss her today.

Princess is in excellent health and sees a vet on a regular basis. Usually for no reason except it has been a while and my daughter wants to be sure there is nothing wrong that she cannot see. Her vet gave her medication for worm treatment and Princess had a very bad reaction and was very sick. The vet is the one who told us to start using the diatomaceous earth. My daughter has called the vet since I asked this question and she says it will take a couple more weeks to be sure. If there is no sign of improvement then we will take another route.

We have several other pets and love them all. Other pets have come and gone over the years, all loved and appreciated.

I really appreciate all the responders on this site as I have found many "home" remedies that have helped me solve lots of problems. Not everyone can agree and that is a good thing because it keeps us on our toes and searching for better answers.

The tapeworm meds sold now do not always kill the tapeworm.

They only dissolve the segments from the head..Then they grow again an again..Takes several weeks for them to grow an drop off.

Vets used to use a pill that vibrated the intestine a dislodge the head..They no longer use it.. If the head isn't removed, it's a loosing battle,at 25.00 a pop..I am now using diatamasious earth With good results. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

Well, cybergrannie, since the vet says to go ahead and do it because she had problems with the regular meds then you have no choice. Is DE also being sprinkled in her litter box and on her favorite sleeping areas? Let us know the outcome, okay?

Hello again and thanks for your response. Yes we do use DE in several areas but since the vet says she has no fleas (Princess has a bath every week with Dawn) her biggest concern is cleaning up the worms.

Undoubtedly Princess got a flea or two from somewhere or she would not have the worms. She is a house cat but does love our enclosed patio which does have some grass and we do occasionally visit neighbors with dogs and cats of their own. Fleas love to latch on to a "new" body so I believe this is the case. Princess is due at the vet's on September 10 so I hope she will be okay. Her age is always a concern.

Thanks again.

I gave my cats diatomaceous earth twice to help with worms and about a week later one of my cats was severely dehydrated and ended up passing away. Apparently she was diabetic and I did not know so the DE could have just exasperated the health situation but I think it's funny that a week after feeding th this stuff she was severely dehydrated and that is how DE kills parasites. You see a lot of pages saying how safe it is but I have found a few that say otherwise. On one a vet told a woman that this stuff is toxic to cats, on another it says that you should not continuously give it to your cats and on others in regards to human consumption it says that it can be very dehydrating. If you do decide to chance it and feed it to your cats please be very careful and keep a close eye on them so you don't end up in a situation like me. I have had the most awful week and it was heart breaking to not only lose my cat but to know may have been the one to cause her the problem and I don't want it to happen to anybody else or their pet. God Bless.

Diatomite did NOT kill anyone's cat. The worms did. Worms themselves often cause diarrhoea. Which dehydrates cats. Especially kittens. I've got 60 cats, all raised from birth right on my property. Outdoors. Diatomaceous Earth is not provably for deworming via ingestion, though some swear by it. I keep it around because, by keeping it mixed in my cats' fur, it keeps fleas somewhat under control, which stops worms from becoming so abundant that my cats have no way to fight for their health (long enough to become big from lots of solid food). Tapeworms kill. And fleas facilitate worms. Tapeworms can stay afloat only if fleas go unchecked. Else, they will lose the battle for your cats' lives. Get rid of tapeworms with praziquantel (contained in Droncit & Drontal). For roundworms, use pyrantel palmoate. Both are available over the counter. Drontal is pricey. It's worth it if you're rich.

(Pictured: Darrell is 1 year old. DE keeps him healthy. 3 of his sibs died from worms before I first used it. He gets his fur powdered. I don't feed it to him, really. Used to. But no evidence it deworms, despite the hype. The significance is, it fights fleas.

No fleas? No worms. Eventually.)

[Often, one may notice fragments from tapeworms in a cat's stool. This isn't necessarily a sign that anything is killing the worms since this happens anyway as a tapeworm grows and produces eggs (which are inside the tapeworm segments that break off and pass into the stool.)]

brewers yeast for fleas in the cat's food, fleas don't like the taste in the blood.

I have one cat out of 7 that consistently comes down with worms every two months.The vet says I will need to treat all of them in order to eliminate the problem. He is the only one that is a house cat. Very frustrating