Save Used Coffee And Tea For Compost

Do not throw away your daily coffee grounds or tea from tea bags. Mulch or compost them. Plants, particularly acid loving plants, love them. I disperse them methodically around the yard by shaking them out as they are excellent organic matter and add a low dose of nitrogen.

If I have leftover coffee in the pot or tea, I dilute it and pour it out in the yard. I just alternate dispersal areas. Plants like azaleas , camellias, and blueberries particularly like the coffee, not to mention your grass. Read up on it. Do not send that organic matter to the dump.

Source: I have always mulched with my coffee and tea, but listened to a good program on it on the radio show, "You Bet Your Garden" and the show mainly covered coffee.

By Rika from Brunswick, GA

I think the grounds are toxic to pets ;(

Anytime we are in a metropolitan area, we stop at Starbucks for the coffee grounds. We actually till them into the soil, not just sprinkle them on the ground.

I use teabags for a second time for tea soak for feet before they hit the compost.

Step 1 Place the teabags in the bottom of the basin and fill halfway with boiling water. Allow the tea to brew for about 10 minutes, or until dark.

Step 2 Remove the teabags. Let the tea soak cool for about 5 minutes so that you don't burn your feet. Stirring it gently with a wooden spoon will speed up the cooling process.

Step 3 Place your feet in the basin and soak them in the tea for about 30 minutes. Add a bit more hot water if the foot soak grows too chilly.

Step 4 Dry your feet with a clean towel. Shake a small amount of baby powder into your hands and smooth it over your feet. Repeat this treatment twice a day until the problem subsides.

Tea Soak found on ehow.com