Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Vinegar as a Hair Rinse

Can you substitute cane vinegar for apple cider vinegar in rinsing hair? Thanks so much.

By Marialyn from Philippines

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]07/26/2010

Dottie, I was also considering trying a vinegar rinse, mainly as a treatment for an itchy, eczema-ridden scalp. I'll try your 1:3 or 1:4 ratio instead of the 1:2 ratio I was considering, thanks for answering a question I hadn't asked yet. :D

By elva [1]07/22/2010

Yes you can, but I like apple cider vinegar better.

By DottieNM [3]07/21/2010

Hi Marialyn,

Since I'm not familiar with cane vinegar, I looked it up on the Internet. It sounds as though it's similar to rice vinegar. If so, it should work fine as a hair rinse.

I believe the purpose of a vinegar hair rinse is to bring the hair back to its natural acid balance. Previously, I used lemon juice as a hair rinse, but vinegar is cheaper, so I've switched to that.

I have dry hair but an oily scalp, and I've been very happy with how my scalp and hair feel after using my vinegar rinse. Both feel very clean.

As a personal preference, I use distilled (also called white) vinegar as a hair rinse, instead of apple cider vinegar. I mix one part of vinegar with three or four parts of water.

Hope this helps!

Dottie