Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Restore Paint Brushes With Vinegar

When you have allowed your paint brushes to harden with paint on them, you can easily soften them by placing them in hot vinegar until paint loosens and the wash them in hot soapy water.

By Sandy A. from Graettinger, IA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By eve [16]01/20/2010

You don't say if this is for oil based paint or latex. I am guessing it is probably oil based paint though.

I keep my brushes in the freezer if I am not through using them, and will need them the next day. I just put them in clingwrap and take them out of the freezer about half an hour before I need them. This is for Latex or water based paint. I rarely use oil based any more.

By alan julier [3]02/20/2009

Suggest you obtain the patented "Multipurpose Paint Roller " it paints and cleans brushes with the minimum of water and paint cleaning spirits.You will not have to keep buying new brushes that have harden with old paint. So keep the vinegar for the "French Fries". Harden brushes never do a good decorating task as you will find that the brushes lose the odd hairs into the paintwork.Good Luck!

RE: Restore Paint Brushes With Vinegar

By Barbara [16]01/14/2009

thank you so much for this tip...i just threw out a couple brushes because the paint hardened on them and couldn't get it out...i'm surely going to pass this on to all my contacts...

By EGRIBBLE [3]01/14/2009

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU!!!!!! FOR THIS TIP. BEEN DOING ALOT OF QUICKIE REMOD TO MY HOME AND YOU GUESSED IT PAINTING. THOUGHT FOR SURE I'D RUINED A COUPLE EXPENSIVE BRUSHES.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.