Restore Paint Brushes With Vinegar

By Sandy 135

When you have allowed your paint brushes to harden with paint on them, you can easily soften them by placing them in hot vinegar until paint loosens and the wash them in hot soapy water.

By Sandy A. from Graettinger, IA

Showing: Comments Sort

By EGRIBBLE 3 50 Flag

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU!!!!!! FOR THIS TIP. BEEN DOING ALOT OF QUICKIE REMOD TO MY HOME AND YOU GUESSED IT PAINTING. THOUGHT FOR SURE I'D RUINED A COUPLE EXPENSIVE BRUSHES.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Barbara 20 121 Flag

thank you so much for this tip...i just threw out a couple brushes because the paint hardened on them and couldn't get it out...i'm surely going to pass this on to all my contacts...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By alan julier 3 14 Flag

Suggest you obtain the patented "Multipurpose Paint Roller " it paints and cleans brushes with the minimum of water and paint cleaning spirits.You will not have to keep buying new brushes that have harden with old paint. So keep the vinegar for the "French Fries". Harden brushes never do a good decorating task as you will find that the brushes lose the odd hairs into the paintwork.Good Luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By eve 18 136 Flag

You don't say if this is for oil based paint or latex. I am guessing it is probably oil based paint though.

I keep my brushes in the freezer if I am not through using them, and will need them the next day. I just put them in clingwrap and take them out of the freezer about half an hour before I need them. This is for Latex or water based paint. I rarely use oil based any more.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Paint laden art brushes in a jar.
Cleaning Artist Brushes
Previous
Crafts PaintingJanuary 13, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Paint laden art brushes in a jar.
Cleaning Artist Brushes
Two hair brushes and a comb.
Cleaning and Disinfecting Brushes and Combs
Cleaning Hair from a Brush
Removing Hair from Brushes
Paint laden art brushes in a jar.
Organizing Paint Brushes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:44:05 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings