What is this Minuscule Fuzzy Pest?

I have reached desperate mode at this point. I live in a apartment (ground level) in Ohio. Since early December 2004, I have been dealing with some type of black flying bug that is about half the size of a tiny pin head - a mere fleck! It has a lot of the characteristics of a no see um. It hides during the day and comes out at night.

The most active hours are between 2:00 and 6:00 am. It bites me under the covers and leaves my body feeling like it has hot prickly bristles on it. It gets in my ears, mouth, eyes and nose while I am trying to sleep. I've resorted to masks, scarves etc., but it somehow gets inside of them. I had an exterminator spray and bomb. He took my samples but couldn't find anything. I know I am not hallucinating because when I stay at other peoples homes I have no problem. I've been in apt. for 2 yrs., carpets have been steam cleaned, no pets and no plants. I never keep trash out or fruit.

This is the distinguishing appearance - these tiny black dots appear to be intertwined in clothing/carpet fuzz. So when people look at my samples they look very hairy/fuzzy and people dismiss them as fuzz! The only thing I can think it may have come from was a box that I bought an artificial xmas tree near the time this started. The box was labeled Japan and was most likely shipped by boat and then stored in a warehouse. Any ideas on a tiny, fuzzy, biting bug possibly from Asia? I'll be happy with any help so I can sleep!

Thank you,
Sarah from Ohio

PS At night it also makes this pinging noise like it's hitting my pillow near my ear.

Best Answer

This reminded me of a post last year so I started looking:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf629910.tip.html

First, I'd wash my bedding with borax. Let it soak a while. Vacuum your mattress, carpets and pillows.

Another suggestion besides an exterminator which it sounds like you have already tried, is using an insect repellent. You might need to try a few different ones to see if any of these are effective so you can at least sleep.

Check with your county extension service or public health department. One way to catch some would be to put a piece of tape, sticky side up when you start to feel them. They sound like they are very small and that would prevent the fuzz from getting in with them.

Best wishes for getting rid of these little critters.

Susan from ThriftyFun

You need to phone an exterminator pronto.

I have the same thing going on at my house, for almost a year now. I call the exterminator, about 4 diffent exterminators co. They didn't know what it was, I have to clean everyday, I'm going crazy ! I try everything on earth to get rid of pin head bugs, that are white, black, &

i have beem to four optimoligist,and have taken the bugs and they said,they were not an insect because they had no wings,legs,they did;nt believe me said it was fuzz,i even showed them my arms and legs,but i still find them even on my ceiling,how did they get up there i have moved three times and they are with me and they come out at night,the exterminaters would not even spray,they said it is a fl.law they have to know what they are spraying for,i have had them for about three years,i wont even put on a sleevless shirt,and there is three diff ones in my house,black,white,and another that looks like a piece of white fuzz but it is a bug ,people think i am crasy

Oh, my!! I do feel for you! I would call my extension agent, and ask him/her about those bugs. There is a possibility that some strange species of a minute bug was brought here from the shipment from China.

I know that you can't use bleach on your carpets, but when I lived in Texas there were scorpions, and most of the floors were ceramic, so I could clean them in a bleach solution. I cleaned everything, the bathroom vanity, and kitchen cabinets with that solution, and I never saw another one.

I am sorry I can't offer a solution for your problem, but do you think they may be fleas that were in that Christmas tree?

Good Luck!

I hope you get help soon.

I should have thought of what "ILuvDobes" posted. Indeed, you DO need to call an exterminator. of course, that is the best advice!

Maybe a few bug zappers that are used outside might help until you can find out what might help.

Maybe bedbugs. They are making a huge comeback in this country from things imported and travelers. They are extremely hard to get rid of. If you have noticable bites, see a dermatoligist. He/she should be able to identify the bites. Also try your local government health dept. They, too, would be concerned about a bedbug outbreak. Good Luck

Sounds like fleas to me. If you can catch one between your fingers go to a sink and put it in a pool of water thats left. Squish it with you fingernail if you hear a crack sound, it is likely to be fleas. If this is the case, you need to get flea powder and treat everything. Hope this helps. Jennifer

Fleas are EXTREMELY small. And they jump, not fly, though telling the difference can be hard since they can jump VERY far. It is also VERY hard to catch them. They also tend to bother humans at night. During the day they feed on their animal hosts, which they prefer. But you said you don't have any pets. But if you had a mouse or rat problem you didn't know about... That was how the Black Plague in the Middle Ages was spread. And they bite. But they usually only bite below the waist on humans. You would have bite marks from them. They are painful. And they may look fuzzy to you, as fleas are hairy. If this is what you have, you should get rid of them right away. They spread disease through their bites.

This is a good site that has pictures and descriptions of pests that might help you identify your's:

http://www.pestproducts.com/index.htm

Good luck!

Heather

This works for fleas -- theoretically it may also work on other pests. Buy Borax on the laundry aisle of your store, then sprinkle it on all carpet and upholstered furniture. It is non-toxic and will not hurt the rugs/furniture. Let it set at least overnight, then vaccum it up. Supposedly this smothers the bugs. REMEMBER -- after you vacuum, you MUST immediately dispose of the vaccum bag! It's worth a shot -- good luck!

I have the same problem! Tiny black fuzzy biting bugs with teeny legs. They hop, but they are not fleas. I captured one with tape and it looks like a drop of fuzz. Very frustrating. The bites look like teeny red fang marks and cause flu-like symptoms. I can't get rid of them, and I'm tired of being sick. What kind of bed bug is this? Thanks

It sounds like fleas to me. Last summer in the Northeast U.S. was a bad flea season. You don't need to have pets to get a flea problem. You could have picked them up at someone else's home who had pets with fleas. Plus, with fleas, you have to kill their eggs, too, or else they won't go away.

Oddly, I have one pet, a cat that never has had fleas, and never goes outdoors. Last October she developed a terrible flea problem. My only conclusion was that I must have carried them in to HER!!! So, I had to treat her and the house. Try a flea bomb. You'll have to leave your house for several hours, but I've never heard of a non-pesticide remedy that works for stopping fleas and their eggs from hatching.

But first, find out that it is in fact fleas. Calling your extension service is good advice.

Good luck!

Yesterday I was fired as a counselor because the psychiatrist/medical director at my job decided I was having psychosomatic symptoms. Since I was a temp, I have no recourse. I have vacuumed several times/day for approximately 3 weeks in the past to rid my home and car of these insects who seem to co-occur with fleas, but are not visible to the naked eye. I am 57 y.o., & have been attractive to mosquitoes, bees, etc. all my life. To the best of my recollection, my home was first infested with this insect approx. 1983, when I dog-sat for a wkend. The bites will occur when I choose a seat where a human carrier has previously sat, but when I move to another location, I do not feel the bites. I used flaxseed oil tablets for approx. 1.5 years, but then they stopped being effective. I have tried herbal oils, insect repellents, flea collars, insect specialists who have researched the subject for me, dermatologists. genera practitioners, the Works. These fall into the category of no see ums, but I know I'm not crazY! I read to try mixture of equal parts borax and salt, so I'm trying that today. I've been handling this problem quietly whenever I encounter it, but this is the first time an employer was even concerned about it! I'm very hurt, because I know I'm an effective therapist, but now I need a permanent solution so I can get another job without being labeled crazy!

I would move if it's a option! I would put everything in plastic bags and sprinkle with borax. I would put out quite a few bug bombs then move mattress,furn,etc. You sure don't want to take them with you. D E (diatomaceous earth) may help also and it is non toxic. Good luck! T

I know you are not crazy. If you are, I am because I have the same things. It's driving me nuts, also. I have been fighting them for 4 years and it seems they are getting worse. My Berber carpet is off-white with varied colored threads. The things morph to the darker colors and look like a field of wheat after a UFO has landed. It's not noticeable to most people until I point it out.

When they die, they turn into tiny black dots and you can vacuum them up at that point if you work very hard at it. Triazicide has been the best toxin so far. At one point I developed "delusional parasitosis" and got so paranoid, I won't walk barefooted on my carpet even now. Good luck. Hope someone else has a better idea. You're OK! Not nuts!

They are Minute Pirate bugs. Bites hurt so bad and almost impossible to get rid of. I've had them for a year now. I've tried every outside bug repellent, inside I've tried every spray and bomb including bedbug killers, even diatomaceous earth. Spent every bit of money I have repeatedly to get rid of them. Just found out to safely use inside and outside is a mixture of viper cypermethrin and spreader sticker in garden pump sprayer. Hopefully it works because I'm ready to burn my home down to be rid of them. Good luck.

I have had this problem for 2 months now. The pest control set traps but he says he can't find anything. Well my daughter went to SC on vacation so we thought maybe sandfleas. Sorry to say there not. I have sprayed chemicals and used the diatomaceouse earth safe for kids and pets. Cleaned my carpets washed my clothes. I have had people tell me I have fleas to bed bugs. Neither one. I just found a website that say something like US warning or outbreak. They have them bad down south and spreading and because no one really knows or isn't telling what country they came from they can not find anything to completely get rid of them. The site is a web page on Google with this if you would like to check it out . They do tell a couple things that help but said this is a bad outbreak. And what's up with bed bugs coming back. I'm 48 yrs young and Never in my life seen one. I just use to tease my kids sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite. Well I sure don't anymore.

If anyone can find the true absolute end to these plz let me know.

Omg i have had bed bugs and i know what fleas are and now we have these things i agree with the first petson what are they i feel them inching on my face my eyebrows ears the back of neck they stick into and if you dont clear up the our bodies you have to use your fingernail to pick them off they leave a tiny pin hole with red mark they burn then itch they are the smallest little black specs they are bitting my dog if you dont clean up the bite and get rid of it ive used peroxide then they come back and you can see more than one of them what ate they and no your not hallucinating thank you ret

Carpet beetles. I had them at an old apartment and they crawl around in the carpet/clothes/bedding, and when you touch them they don't move.

I have them too.

Black carpet beetles my dr says and that it looks and feels like a rash but its actually an allergic reaction you get to the hairy little nymphs

You are dealing with carpet beetles. The hairs on the larva stay in your clothes because of the static. They eat anything. I have been dealing with this for over a year. They burrow in the seams of your clothes and the hairs are what are giving you the problems. Trust me I know. Research this and when you wash your clothes on hot water and dry for a good 30 min. they lint looks like curved lint right.

Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs
Home and Garden Pest Control InsectsFebruary 6, 2005
Man Pointing at Brake Rotor
Fixing Squeaky Brakes
Little Boy Dressed as Detective
Making a Detective Costume
Toad in a garden.
Attracting Toads to Your Garden
A kiwi cut in half on top of a pile of whole kiwifruit.
Selecting Good Kiwifruit
🎉
🎄