RepairComputers

Apple Lost My RAM

Category Repair

Just a warning to people who own Macintosh computers and need to get them repaired. I sent a G4 iBook in for repair and when it was returned, it was missing the 512 of RAM that was in the secondary RAM slot. The logic board was replaced, so it certainly had to be taken out to make the repair, but the tech never noted that it had the 512 MB of RAM. So it's as if it never existed. They refused to do anything about it. Has anyone had this type of problem before? What did you do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Lewis

I'd try to track down a receipt for your purchase of the RAM, if you no longer have it. Did you buy it online? Use a credit card? Try contacting the merchant/credit card company for a copy of your receipt. Then submit that as proof.

Apple said a receipt would mean nothing to them. All they care about is what the tech wrote down when admitting the computer. I offered to submit the receipts and I also told them to check the two previous times I sent it to them when the RAM was noted, they couldn't have cared less. They said it was irrelevant what the computer was bought with.

Well that is just not on! How awful! I think that you should take your complaint to your equivalent of a small claims/ civil claims tribunal. Look on the internet for your local community centre and they will be able to tell you what the body is in your area for consumer complaints and how to go about submitting a case. You should also speak to Apple Customer Service and inform them that you do not intend to let this matter go - you never know, once they know you mean business, you may find your problem 'suddenly resolved'. Good luck!

If you find a solution to this, I would love to know! I bought a HP 8 months. I am typing this on my Dell laptop because my HP is having its 3rd new harddrive put in. HP's response? Three complete harddrive failures in 8 months in not unusual! I have had various computers for 20 years and NEVER had a harddrive failure. HP refuses to do anything other than stick in another one and they want to charge me for the labor even though the machine is still under warrantry. My tech support? Someone in India reading from a manual and asking me to repeat my question a dozen times because he doesn't understand! And then they wonder why we don't buy American. HP is my first and last American desktop! Their service is even worse than then workmenship.

Finally Apple did the right thing. I had given up, but my brother called, talked to someone nice and they are mailing me the RAM. Basically, the person who wrote up the order for the repair made a mistake in stating how much RAM would be sent. Always make sure you make it clear how much ram is being sent with your machine when you send it in for repair. And put a post-it note on the computer that states what is in it. Maybe that would help prevent the problems I faced.