Poison Ivy Treatment

If you come into contact with poison ivy use your hair dryer to blow on it to "itch" it without spreading it. Helps to dry it out quicker. Forget over the counter stuff, they don't work anyway.

By Melanie

Poison ivy does not spread. That is a myth. It may just take longer for some areas to break out than others.

A WONDERFUL product that can be bought in the United States for poison ivy and poison oak is called "CalaGel" made by Tec Laboratories, Inc. (1-800-ITCHING). We live in Canada and my husband had a conference in the States to go to and little containers of CalaGel were given away at the conference. We live on the edge of a valley and are surrounded by bush FULL of poison ivy. This product is wonderful. It goes on clear, dries clear, seals in the oozing and takes the itch away. We love it. Plus one bottle goes a long way. It can also be used on insect bites and skin rashes.

I have been treating poison ivy for many years with Hyland's Homeopathic Poison Ivy/Oak tablets available at the health food store. They are not real expensive....about $5.00 for 50 tablets. They will begin to dry up the weepy rash in less than 24 hours. They also can be used to protect you from getting the rash. For years, I roamed the woods picking blackberries. I would begin taking a couple tablets each day about 5 days prior to going into the woods. I even fell backwards one time and landed in a large patch of poison ivy, and didn't get a bit of rash. I did bathe as soon as I returned home. My daughter is very allergic, and she camps often...so she uses the pills with great success. Another way to relieve the itching is to apply 100% Aloe Vera Gel which is available at Wal-Mart stores. It is a temporary measure and must be repeated, but it helps for a while.

Harlean from Arkansas

Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Poison Sumac Bush
Remedies for Poison Sumac
Fels Naptha Soap
Buying Fels Naptha Soap
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
🎄