Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Mexican Wedding Reception Decorations

My sister is getting married in Mexico and as maid of honor I am in charge of organizing the reception party. As we are in Mexico, I thought it would be nice to include some of their traditions and decorations in the reception. I have found a lot of information on dances, but I am struggling to find information on the decorations. Any ideas?

Rachel from England

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Natally Ascencio (Guest Post)09/11/2007

I think a good Mexican touch would be calla lilies like the kind in the Diego Rivera paintings and papel picado overhead.

By Debbie05/10/2006

I hope this wedding has not passed. We Mexicans have lots of traditions. At the church it is a tradition to have 12 golden coins blessed by the priest. When the couple has "officially" been marreid, the maid of honor and best man but the lasso (rope) over the couple to symbolize unity, they are one.
At the reception you must have biscochos, also known as wedding cookies. The traditional reception meal is Red Chile con Carne (prepared by the whole family), Rice, beans, and a roll.
The wedding celebration, or dance starts with The Marcha. It is usually led by family members. The music played at most Mexican weddings are cumbias, rancheras, corridas, meringue, mariachi, etc.
Before the night ends you must have the dollar dance where the guests pin money on the bride and groom and dance with them for about 1-2 minutes.
Since we like to party all night. The celebration continues with menudo and more menudo in the morning.

By Kasie (Guest Post)05/02/2006

I had to make these for a school project, they are called Mexican Wedding Cookies, they are great. They aren't much, but the bride and groom each get one, kinda like the first peice of cake..

RE: Mexican Wedding Reception Decorations

By B. (Guest Post)04/24/2006

I'm from Mexico and starting a business as a wedding planner. We have some traditions here that are different like the 13 coins and the lazo (both are in the mass) but basically we have a normal wedding. Some choose to have mariachi at the end of the wedding, after the live band or DJ and only for 20 or 30 minutes. We don't eat marzipan or have a piñata, that is only when you want to do it with a Mexican theme.

If you want to do it that way, I would recommend not to go over the edge with the details. Keep it simple because Mexican FIESTAS can be too much and it would be less elegant. Try to do it in a garden, use color in the decoration like rosa mexicano (mexican pink) and amarillo canario (yellow), a beautiful flower you can use in the bouquet is the alcatraz. Use patterned tiles or terracotta pots, maybe chales (are like pashminas), maracas, maybe hats. You can decorate with small piñatas but I would not recommend to break it, it's usually a mess.

By lalalala (Guest Post)02/17/2006

MARIACHI=ok for about 3 songs. but then people start getting anoyed so be sure to have another band as well. hmmm..id also say the gold coin thing..thats a must. and the dollar dance. for sure. helps the newlyweds...

By carol (Guest Post)09/08/2005

A good idea at the reception (since we know weddings are not cheap) The Dollar Dance. Some one hands out pins to everyone that will dance with the couple. They pin as much money as they want to give to the couple and then once they pin it on the bride or groom they dance until the next person pins thier money. (A little extra cash wont hurt the newly weds).

By Rachel (Guest Post)08/30/2005

It is tradition for the groom to give the bride 13 gold coins as a sign of putting his trust in her after the vows are given. I also agree with asking the bride what she wants done and traditions on how the wedding and reception should go.

By Dee (Guest Post)08/13/2005

All I have to say is MARIACHI!!!! They always have Mariachi music at a wedding, thats like a Mexican staple! If having the Mariachi band live is not possible get a CD, Have fun and good luck!!!

By Debbie (Guest Post)06/23/2005

I would ask the bride-to-be for ideas. She may have other family traditions or childhood dreams you should know about, too. Say you may not be able to use all ideas, but you would like to hear them anyway.

You could also try asking your son and his fiance's parents.

By B [1]06/23/2005

Here is a website that might be able to help you... Good luck! http://www.askginka.com/nationality/mexican.htm

By Paula Moreno06/21/2005

How about Mexican Wedding Cookies.
They are called Ojarascas and you can find them at a Mexican Bread Bakery. They may be small cookies but they are very filling.

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]06/21/2005

I have only met my new daughter-to-be once. My problem is that we are hosting the wedding and I need some ideas and help. She is from Mexico and I would like to have some traditional Mexican influences, but I am not sure of what to do. I have made some spanish and english wish rocks, made the invites in both also. I have been told that another tradition is to place three type of nuts onto the tables in bowls. Any more ideas?

Reg.