Using Roofing Shingles to Side a Shed

My mom's boyfriend repaired our shed wall, but he did not finish it. The siding that once was on the original wall is broken. I would like to shingle this side of the shed if nothing else just to preserve it from further damage. Later when the money is there I would of course get it re-sided, but I already have 10 bundles of shingles. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I would appreciate step by step directions. I don't think it can be that hard. Thanks for any information.

By Laura from Ocala, FL

This is just a guess, some men or people with more construction experience that I have, but I would think you would do the bottom row first and then the next one, overlapping the shingles, and maybe staggering each row about half way over on each row. That is the way shingles on a roof look to me anyway.

redhatterb is exactly right. And this is coming from a professional carpenter of 50 years, plus. Very good thinking of a way to use up surplus roofing shingles BTW -- and, I must say, very original.

Try to nail or screw the exposed siding into as much "flatness" as you can before nailing on the shingles. I see it seems to have developed "bubbles" due to rain and sun. You don't want any movement underneath the shingles if you can help it.

I'm only a DIY landlord for 25 years. I recently read an article on just what you want to do. Using roofing shingles as siding won't work because the shingles won't "seal" to each other like on a roof to keep out water damage. They would just flap in the wind.

If you decide to do this, and the boyfriend is still the boyfriend, make him do the work. After all he started it and didn't finish it.

As redhatterb said, start at the bottom and work up. Overlap each new row about two inches over the row before. If you don't have one, you can rent a nail/staple gun.

Certified mentioned flapping in the wind but it depends on what kind of shingles you're talking about. If it's the kind of roofing shingles I think Certified is talking about (composition) then you can remedy that by simply stapling the top of each shingle and bottom of each shingle too ;-)

Please post a photo of the finished project for us, okay?

Here in Maine you still find houses that are shingled using roofing shingles

My neighbors house was probably close to 80 years old before they did vinyl siding and it was fine. Shingles were NOT stapled or tarred down BUT we don't have hurricanes etc like you'all

#1 Will codes/local regs let you do this? If not you will have wasted time and possible fines.

#2 Before doing this you need to fix the slope of the yard. The roof drains on this side and the wood is almost in contact with the ground. Taper the soil away from the shed/garage.

Putting in some drainage rocks where water lands and a swale or small trench to another area will save your building.

Personally I would probably find some cheapy exterior paint and hit the bottom of the wall and trim out the window before doing the shingles. Really slop it on the edges to hopefully keep it from wicking up the wood.

First row of shingles is actually a 1/2 shingle lengthwise. Cut the shingles in half length wise (have back up razor blades it will use them up). Yyou will be using the top solid side. Using roofing nails put up one layer of the solid half shingles.

Now cut one shingle so one flap and top is off, 2/3rds size .. Put this up so the bottom flap side will be over the upside down one. Continue all the way across.

Consider getting some roof tar and glueing down this layer.

**SOME shingles actually have a peel off sticky section to keep it down (might only be the architectural 50 year ones)

(SAVE the ones you cut off at end of row)

Next row start with a full shingle and continue down

Next row is a 2/3 shingle etc etc

Next is full row etc etc

Keep going

If you have hurricanes, tornadoes or high winds, use some roof tar to 'glue' down the flaps every so often.

If it's not bad, do the middle flap. If you are pretty much always in the hurricane path, then I'd do the first and third flap.

Post on Freecycle left over cut shingles for dog house etc

Roof Shingles
Reusing Roof Shingles
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceApril 26, 2010
A garden shed built slightly on a hill.
Building a Shed on Uneven Ground
Rodent Control, Closeup of Wood Mouse
Rodent Control
Shingles Blisters
Shingles Advice
Garden Shed
Building a Garden Shed