Browsing: Using Adobo Seasoning

Pernil: Puerto Rican Style Roast Pork

• 5-8 lb. pork shoulder
  • 6-8 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 packet Sazon Goya (found in most supermarkets in the ethnic aisle)
  • 1 tsp. Adobo seasoning (found in most supermarkets in the ethnic or spice aisle)

In a bowl, mix garlic, salt and oregano. Carefully with a sharp knife, make deep cuts into the pork on meat side and stuff the garlic mixture into the slits. The more cuts, the better the flavor. Sprinkle the other seasonings, Adobo and Sazon, all over the outside of the meat. Rub the seasonings in, making sure the entire surface is covered.

Roast the pork in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 4-6 hours uncovered in a pan with a rack. Roast the pork skin side down for the first 2 hours and then turn skin side up for the remaining time. Pork should be well done and tender when poked with a fork. The pork skin should be brown, hard and peel easily from the meat.

Some people like to eat the skin. Serve with rice and beans or potatoes and a vegetable or salad.

Source: A well know Puerto Rican Recipe.

By Ramona from Granby, MA

Hello I was reading your recipe to make Pernil I was taught a bit differently ,and do not use the Sazon in it. I do not use MSG in my from in my food if I cna help it I get headaches form it. I think it would be tasty like this also. Where did you learn to put in the Sazon? I was taught as a child by my family in North East Pueto Rico and we used spices and garlic cloves added to olive oil and blend it together. I make a Pernil /pork shoulder roast with some citrus juice as well. Pernil is a tasty pork roast and should be experienced by everyone who loves pork. Thank you

Pork Adobo
Using Adobo Seasoning
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats PorkSeptember 2, 2008
Crockpot Pork Roast
Crockpot Pork Roast Recipes
Roast Duck
Roast Duck Recipes
Barbecue Pork
Barbecue Pork Recipes
Pork Roast
Pork Roast Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 8:16:55 PM on in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.