Installing Vinyl Tile Over Old Linoleum Tile and Concrete

My home was built in the 40's. In the utility room in the basement the concrete floors were covered with I think linoleum tiles. They appear to have been laid around that time. The red and green square tiles however, do not completely cover the concrete floor so it looks unfinished.

I want to put a new floor down to cover the entire floor (linoleum and concrete) in the utility room and don't want to pull up the old tiles. I'm thinking of updated vinyl tiles. Because of the unevenness of the floor is there a product I can use to pour or lay over the concrete to even it up to the existing tiles?

Thanks.

By Kathleen from Alexandria, VA

You can buy floor leveling compound at a store like Home Depot or Lowe's. Both places are good at giving you advice, they can tell you what type of flooring would be best to use, etc.

If you should have tear up the old tiles be careful because old tiles made in the the time period you describe will have been made from asbestos. Asbestos fibers are something you don't want to breathe in. You can have someone come in and test the tiles for asbestos. If there is asbestos in the tile and you want or have to have them taken out, you will have to call in the experts to remove them.

Kathleen,

There are multiple issues here. First is asbestos. Removal will probably be expensive. It's best to leave it there if possible.

Secondly, it sounds like you have an irregular floor. This can probably be repaired by an experienced floor layer. If a floor layer is hired and he determines that he is able to even the concrete so that he is able to lay over it thus covering the asbestos tile you would most likely find that to be the most cost effective solution. You may still find this project to be more costly than you like.

I would call a reputable floor company a bid should cost you nothing. Request a bid be careful of anyone that will only give you an estimate unless they are a person that you know and trust. ;o)

Rygobus

Thank You for the responses. I didn't even think about asbestos. I will definitely not remove it but try the floor leveling compound first before contacting a pro. I think I've seen it done on a DIY program.

Installing Vinyl Tile Over Old Linoleum Tile
Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringSeptember 25, 2010
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Installing Tile
Installing Tile
🎉
🎄