Energy Saving Window Covers

To save on high gas bills, I replaced the curtains on the Northwest side of my home with black 3 mil paper. The paper absorbs the heat from the sun and prevents the leaking of warm air inside to the outside. My solar project worked! Many of my neighbors gas bills went up 30%-50% we had a big increase in CCFs but mine decreased $5-$10 compared to the previous cheaper year! The black 3 mil paper cost less than $5 and easily paid itself back in less than a month! I will definitely be doing this again this fall!

By Amylucille from Fremont, OH

Where do you buy this black 3 mil paper?

How do you get daylight/sunshine into your home with the windows covered in black paper? Do you attach them to a roller and pull them down only at night or do you have your windows covered all of the time?

Can you put this on paper on the double pane windows?

I want to know where to get and how to use it, as I've never heard of it. This is a terrific tip! Thanks a bunch!!

The black 3 mil paper can be purchased at any hardware store, walmart, etc. It is similiar to garbage bags but is stronger. The windows will get hot to the touch on a sunny day. I leave them up til Spring because you want the sun's heat to stay at the window and eliminate any air flow. Measure your window and cut out black mil paper. I hang mine up with masking tape because the paper is lightweight. The secret is to leave a one inch gap at the bottom of the window. This somehow keeps the air circulating. The bottom does not need to be taped down and should hang loosely. I forgot to clarify that my previous year's CCF's cost .87 and increased the next year to 1.28. Even with this jump, my gas bills were $5-$10 lower than the previous year. The black mil paper is very cheap between $3-$5 a roll and will last you a lifetime. My daughter complains that the whole side of the house is dark but never complains of being cold. I always set the temperature at 70 degrees because " I do not pay for cold!" I am a single parent but did this to see if the solar project worked. It was a success, and yes, my family makes fun of me but my bills are cheaper and my house is warmer than theirs. Hope this helps you! Amy

You could have the same thing with rolled blinds made out of all kinds of materials and use them all year long while also having something a little more decorative. Some of the hardware stores have nice selections of these durning the summer.

What is black 3 mil paper?

Simple Things We Can Do To Save Energy, Piggy Bank and Electric cord
Simple Things We Can Do To Save Energy
Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergySeptember 21, 2006
Energy Saving Tips
Energy Saving Tips
lace tank topper
Making Toilet Tank/Lid Covers
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Freezer
Reducing Your Freezer's Energy Consumption
🎉
🎄