Home Recipe for Ear Mites

• 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1/4 cup of white vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. boric acid
  • 2 drops tea tree oil
  • 2 drops dish detergent

Put ingredients into a glass jar and shake to mix well. Using a couple of cotton balls, dip them into the solution and place the cotton ball(s) into your pet's ear, one ear at a time. Quickly close the ear flap over the opening and using your fingers rub the ear in a circular motion. Do this for about ten seconds so the solution has a chance to penetrate the ear.

Take the cotton balls out and stand back a bit because your pet will shake their head immediately! I use another clean cotton ball to dry around the opening to the ear. It will be yucky! Do the same for the second ear.

Follow this routine once a day for a week and then once a week from then on to prevent mites from invading your pet's ears again. Works wonderfully!

A note: Boric acid is available from your pharmacist. No prescription needed, by law they have to keep it behind the counter, just ask. It runs under $3 for a container that would last forever. Share with a friend!

Source: Our vet gave us this recipe.

By Pattie from Bridgton, ME

Editor's Note: Several people have contacted us regarding the toxicity of tea tree oil. Check any home remedy with your own veterinarian before using.

Top Comment

Tea Tree Oil is toxic to dogs. No joke. I learned this the hard way this past summer. I was given a recipe to help repel fleas from my dogs naturally and it called for Tea Tree. I put it on two dogs and it paralyzed their back legs. I flushed their systems out with water - making them drink a ton even if I had to fix up broth - and then bathed and bathed till it was good and off. After a few days they were fine, but I was terrified. So, no tea Tree.

Tea tree is VERY toxic to cats :( I would suggest not using it.

Watch your use of tea tree oil and animals.

Treating Ear Mites
Treating Ear Mites
Pets HealthMarch 18, 2009
A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
Rendering of a dust mite on a white background.
Getting Rid of Dust Mites
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears