Excuses For Gossipy Callers

Gossip anyone? I always keep a timer in my pocket when I'm at home. When my friends call with the intention to gossip, I just ring the timer in my pocket and apologize that I must hang up to check the food in my oven. I also ring my doorbell and pretend to welcome somebody warmly, then excuse myself for having to hang up to welcome my "fabricated" guest.

By Mae from Washington, DC

I TELL THEM OOPS GOTTA GO SOMEONE IS ON MY OTHER LINE

These sound like good ideas. I have been on the receiving end of this tho lately and could tell it was a fabricated story. My mother has had surgery so I've been calling her a lot to check up on her. She says she has to go to the bathroom to get off the phone. I laugh to myself because I know she's just tired of talking. I rarely talk on the phone anymore since I email so much. I don't have any friends that call to gossip!

Your secret is out now. I do have this situation with two dear, dear friends, and my doggie is the answer. When she stands in front of the door, I have to end our conversation (it's not really gossip) since I don't have a cordless or cell phone.

If you have all waiting you can get sneakier & hit a button on the phone for a tone & say you have another call coming in that you have been from some VIP you have been waiting to hear from!

If you have someone else around have them yell for you (when you give the signal) then you can say that you have to go as (name) is calling you.

I just bring the conversation to a close, by saying, "Sorry to interrupt, but I really must go. It's lovely to hear from you....Bye!" Said kindly, nobody is offended, and if they don't get the hint, next time they ring, I just say, "Hello, I just have 5 minutes to talk," and then stick to it. I really don't find it necessary to fabricate excuses.

I have also been known to call my landline with my cellphone. With caller waiting the landline beeps and I can use the excuse that I am waiting for this incoming call, for whatever reason, business, family importance, etc. to get the gossiper (usually my mother!) off my hands. Oh how I hate hearing stories about people I don't know, not too keen on hearing her stories, usually embellished to the point of being totally false, about people I know, either.

I do not like to entertain gossip of any sort, however neither will I lie about having to get off of the phone. I am honest and will say, listen, I wish not to talk about this and unless we are willing to pray for them or the situation we should not let filthy communication proceed out of our mouths. If they are offended apologize to them that it is not your intent to wound them, but you are not a garbage can and you would do the same with someone else if they called wanting to gossip about them. Also, once the word is out that you don't gossip and will not tolerate it from anyone, your phone will not be ringing much. So, I like to keep the conversation honest, trustworthy, and my heart and mind clean and clear of garbage.

this is darn good idea, i will work on it, thankyou and keep up the good work

I did laugh when I read about the timer, never heard that one before.

Attila has the right idea. I too, don't find it necessary to lie. You'll find yourself lying every time they call. Why not just be up front at the beginning.

A woman talking on the phone.
Tips for Avoiding Gossip
Organizing Saving TimeJune 13, 2007
🎄