A Christmas Cake for Jesus

contest winner icon

When my children were very small, I wanted them to have fun with Christmas and Santa, but I also wanted them to understand what the true meaning is behind this holiday. Of course we watched the TV shows, read the books, and talked about Jesus, but to make it more personal for them, I took it a step farther. We would sit down and have our traditional Christmas dinner and I would always remind the kids to 'save room for the Birthday cake!'

When we were finished eating, we would clear the table somewhat, then I would bring out a small cake we had made or purchased (the 1st birthday size), with a brightly burning candle, and everyone would sing Happy Birthday to Baby Jesus before having a small sliver of cake - traditional pie and stuff was saved for later.

We were not much of a strict, church-going family, but I always wanted my children to understand and have a relationship with God. They always enjoyed and looked forward to this Christmas tradition and took it very seriously, as if they were singing to someone sitting right there in the room with them. And it made God/Jesus more real to them, rather than just being an idea.

By lyonpridej from OK

Wow, what a great idea! Wonderful way to share the meaning of Christmas with little children. I bet God is smiling!

I am a lifelong Lutheran and every Christmas our one minister would gather all the Sunday School kids and they would have a birthday cake for Jesus. The minister would enter the sanctuary carrying a huge lit birthday cake with all the kids following behind him, They would all be singing the birthday song. The minister would then gather the children at the front of the church where he told a child sized version of the nativity story. Later on in Sunday School all the kids would get a piece of cake.

Decorated Christmas Tree
Family Christmas Traditions
Holidays and Parties Christmas TraditionsDecember 9, 2010
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Epiphany Bread
Celebrating Epiphany
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume