Estimating Fabric Needed for Reupholstering a Couch

How much material on average does it take to reupholster a sofa 90 inches long, with a straight skirt?

By Charlotte D.

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Another tip is the fabric "pattern" you choose. If it's plaid, you'll require more to match each seating section and the skirting and back and sides if you want the sofa to look professional. Years ago I had a love seat reupholstered and used a plaid print. and found out this way.

Best Answer

I would say 18 yards. It has been years since I had my shop, but that was about what we allowed for the large sofa. If you are doing it all in one color, and if you are making throw pillows to go on it, you could make your welt cord a different color to match the pillows. One of the nicest ones we did was for a lady with kids, so we did it in denim and trimmed it with red bandanna and made pillows to match the trim. She paid for the sofa and chair and we made the pillows free because we knew she didn't have a lot of money. But you would be surprised how that little thing can make a big difference.

Well, that's actually not enough information. The best source for figuring out your final fabric needs would be a book on making slip covers or upholstering from your local library. It will show you how and what to measure, and how to figure out different amounts for different width fabric. It's quite a lot, but stores like Joann and Fabric Depot have great upholstery rolls that are nice and wide, so if you can sew a straight line and are able to handle frustration and be patient, you can do it, for sure. If you are not a very experienced sewer, I would not do a pattern with piping. I hate piping, have never mastered it,

and on heavy fabric, I think it would be like being condemned to sewing purgatory: never done or taking an eternity.

For the average size sofa you will need aproxiamately 15 yards of fabric and 10 yards for a chair. You need to do lot of measuring, good luck.

Answer

Reupholstered Couch
Reupholstering a Couch
Home and Garden Repair Furniture SofasOctober 25, 2009
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Light colored leather couch.
Removing Fabric Dye from a Leather Couch
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 23, 2016 at 12:04:49 AM on 10.0.2.124 in 710 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.