Winter Feeding for Hummingbirds

As the hummingbirds go south, there are a few that do stay. We love to feed them and we become their main source of food. We stop feeding them, and they perish.

With the winter freeze, we found we needed two feeders. One in the house and one at the feed place allows us to exchange them when winter nights freeze them. Then the one outside comes in and thaws and the other is now fresh and ready for meals. The hummers survive until spring when the insects return and flowers bloom.

By Harris from Troutdale, OR

Love those birds. They need to live. To help with the feeder, I place a 100watt lamp, preferably with a spot type holder about a foot and a half from the feeder to keep it from freezing.

What part of the country do you live in where hummingbirds are still in your area? I was under the impression that they all travel far to the south for the winter. I would definitely continue to provide food for them if they remain in my area for the winter. My zip code is 19027. (Philadelphia,Pa)

white throated mountain gem hummingbird
Feeding Hummingbirds
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJanuary 14, 2010
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations
Hummingbird flying.
Attracting Hummingbirds
🎉
🎄