Blocking a Doorway for a Dog

We need to keep a door to a bedroom open for air circulation, but the dog has jumped over the baby gate (no babies in the house so don't worry about it) and done his business there.

There really isn't any excuse for this behavior. He goes out as soon as he wakes up, and is free to go into the backyard at any time. Do you have any suggestions? Other than this annoying habit which occurs every now and then, he's trained to go outside.

And in the mean time, is there any way we can block off the doorway and still easily permit human access? This dog is a very good jumper.

Holly from Richardson, TX

I have the same problem, only my dog is a nosy puppy. We have a piece of peg board in the doorway and she has so far stayed out. It's also cheap and easy to step over. Good luck.

I have a friend who uses a all screen door to keep her cats out of her rooms. It should work for dog too. Air will be able to flow through and you will be able to open it very easily.

You're going to have to get imaginative & find something higher. We attached 2 plastic drop ceiling tiles together to block the dogs from the kitchen when I had people coming to do work in the house. They are a little higher.

I have a son with Down syndrome. We wanted to allow him to play in his bedroom without worrying about his safety. He quickly learned how to open a baby gate, so we bought a dutch door and installed it. The bottom half could be closed, but with the top open we could hear & see him. It's taller than a baby gate and can still be fully open or closed as needed. When I mentioned it at school, several of the parents with autistic children did the same thing & loved it. You should be able to get one at a hardware or home improvement store. He's 21 now & still loves his dutch door. Dianne

You may try replacing the door with an inexpensive screen door. You can even panel the bottom so the dog can't push through the screen.

Put another baby gate on top of the first one, it works great!

OMG do I have the same problem but I fixed it! I put a box fan in the doorway the dogs don't like to go by the fan so it keeps them out of room and it also helps with the air circulation. I'm not an expert but 2 of my dogs came from kennels and they have a doggie door and they still go inside. Now my new pup is picking it up from them, so I know what you mean. If anyone knows how to cure this problem please email me warnerd5 AT aol

Lattice would probably work too and easy to remove.

Pets Dogs House TrainingApril 30, 2008
Building an Awning
Building an Awning
house window
Keeping Birds from Striking Windows
Hardwood Threshold
Creating a Hardwood Threshold
A man looking at his cell phone.
Blocking Calls on a Cell Phone
🎄