Budget Your Money Flow

This is not exactly a saving money tip, but something that I call a flow-on tip, or "I don't have to this week, so I can do something else". For example. I belong to a weekly creative writing class that costs $9 each week for the class. We are now on two weeks break from the class, so that is $18 that I save for that time. That means I can now use that $18 to buy some Easter goodies for my little grandchildren.

Another example, a friend had a surplus of vegetables, and gave me some tomatoes, pumpkin, etc, so I have saved on not having to buy those, and can buy a train fare to go to the Museum to see an exhibition I would like to see.

You can work it any way you like. If something has saved you $10, you can donate it to charity, or buy some flowers for a good neighbor, or buy a little extra thing for yourself. This sort of thing won't happen every week, but it's good when it does.

By Witchwood from Melbourne, Australia

Hi Witchwood,

I just plain love the way you think. I sometimes have to play little tricks on myself in order to justify buying something I want. I'm going to try doing it your way for a while and see if it works for me.

Thank you for sharing the tip with us. Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I like this idea. I'd call it "scrimp so you can splurge," lol!

I'd brown-bag lunch so I could afford to eat at a nice restaurant later, or scrimp on one necessity - buy generic instead of name brand - on most items at the grocery so I could afford my favorite, higher-priced foods sometimes.

I could cite other examples, but I'm a little tired. It's bedtime here in Ohio. 'Night, all!

Woman Holding Handful of Coupons with Thumbs Up
Tricks for Saving Money
Better Living Frugal Living AdviceMarch 26, 2010
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Woman Consulting Her Shopping List in the Supermarket
Creating a Food Budget
A couple working on their household budget.
Reducing Your Household Budget
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards