Browsing: Starting a Family Reunion Tradition

Starting a Family Reunion Tradition

I want to start a family reunion tradition. We don't have one now but our family is getting pretty large with brothers and sisters moving away with kids, often to different states. My sister and I have decided to start to plan a family reunion and we hope to have it be a yearly event. What I am wondering is if anyone out there does this and if they have any advice? What works for you? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Jules in TX

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

We have an annual family reunion from my grandparents forward. Anyhow many of us live in different states across the Us from NY to Cali. IT is hard to have one family prepare all the food so we do crafts and auction them off for money to finance catering and an airconditioned building at some state park. We have member who use travel trailers, stay at motels, rent a cabin at the park, camp out in tents etc. We usually meet the day before the big meal and talk as everyone is coming in and everyone fends for themselves. This year we ordered pizza and everyone paid for their own. Then we play games, have the auction, visit, do things in the park and go from there to home or wherever we decide to go.

HTH

We have a bbq every year for our family. We keep it pretty simple and laid back. The date is set for the Sun after the Aug long weekend, rain or shine, every year. It is potluck-my Dad, who hosts it at his house, every year, provides the meat (it actually started out as a pig roast, as my Dad used to raise hogs). From there, everyone brings something-no one calls and plans, just brings their specialty. It's kind of gotten to be where my aunt always brings corn on the cob to shuck and boil there, another brings deviled eggs (her specialty) and I love baking so I bring some of those treats, and salads and stuff-whatever they feel like! Everyone brings their own beverages. Usually theres a game or two of horseshoes, and sometimes bocci, and the younger crowd goes cliffdiving at the resevoir near there. Sometimes we organize an impromtu treasure hunt for the little ones. All in all, its a laid back, fun day of catching up with loved ones and enjoying good food outdoors!

HTH!

We are in Western Australia and every 2 years we have a weeks holiday/fishing trip. One BiL and his family live up north so the families from the south of the state drive all day and the northeners drive all day and we meet up at Shark Bay which is midway. We rent chalets at a caravan park and all share the costs. As the kids get older and get their own families I supose the group will just get bigger.

WE HAVE A REUNION EVERY YEAR, AND IN A DIFFERENT CITY. THIS YEAR I AM PLANNING THE REUNION HERE IN ARLINGTON, TEXAS BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO HAVE IT.WHERE ARE SOME GREAT SPOTS TO HAVE IT.DO YOU HAVE A THEME? FOR AN EXAMPLE"BUILDING THE GAP","STAYING CONNECTED "ETC.

Hi Dorothy,

I posted this as a new request:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf472761.tip.html

Don't forget to bring pictures and albums from the past, everyone loves this!

Extended Family Portrait
Starting a Family Reunion Tradition
Holidays and Parties Parties Family ReunionJuly 29, 2004
Generational family photo at a reunion.
Planning a Family Reunion
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Woman with Gag Gift for Family Reunion
Gag Gifts for Family Reunion
High School Reunion
Making Memory Books for a High School Reunion
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 30, 2016 at 7:23:17 PM on 10.0.2.193 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.