Browsing: Cleaning Vinyl Records

Cleaning Record Albums

Does anyone know a good safe way to clean old vinyl/LP albums? Professional cleaner is very expensive and I have about 300 plus albums I need to clean before putting them on my new record player.

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I know you can use Pledge to clean CD's & Pledge also gets rid of many skips on CD's... I doubt it'll work on Vinyl though.... Why not call your local "Vintage Record Store"?... I'm sure they don't spend a fortune to clean all of their albums!... I've always just used a piece of 100% cotton flannel... (like you'd make a baby blanket from)... You can buy a soft piece for about a buck or two at any fabric store... as a second idea, an old 100% T-shirt.

I did a little Google search for "cleaning vinyl albums" & found that most people recommend mixing a bit of Isopropyl or Denatured Alcohol with distilled water. They also say to NEVER use dish soap because this is supposed to be bad for the vinyl. Then again, some say, IF the record is Filthy, you have no choice... Here are several ideas:

MORE INFORMATION:

http://www.ehow.com/tips_1625.html

http://reviews.ebay.com/Cleaning-vinyl-records_W0QQugidZ10000000002119447

My dad was a record collector and he washed his in warm(not hot) soapy water. He used a few drops of liquid dish detergent,washed with a soft dish cloth, rinsed thoroughly,wiped with a soft dish towel, then let them air dry completely. Some say dish soap is bad for records but it didn't hurt his, they played beautifully. In fact, if your records are really dirty(like sticky feeling) nothing but dish soap will clean them.

Try Freecycle (join the group through Yahoo) and ask if anyone has any "leftovers" of the cleaning liquid you are looking for....you would be surprised how many people have half used bottles of "things" that they don't know what to do with. The only cost to you, is collecting the items. Worth a try, there might be something in your area. Happy New Year everyone, cheers Katie from Australia

Hi! Usually I can't answer anything on this type of sites, but I'm proud to say that as a teenager (growing up in the 70's) record albums were all we had. To clean them, just use plain alcohol and a soft cloth. It works wonders, even if some of the albums are scratched! Good luck.

just use a little soap and water its safe i also thought maybe glass cleaner you get from the eye doctor might work for that to

I would like to know where you got a record player?

How do you separate album covers that had gotten wet and are now stuck together. Need assistance.

Do not use any kitchen or bathroom products to clean your records ever! That means Windex, soap, kitchen dish liquid, paper towels, etc etc. This stuff is a record killer. Windex can make a record look clean but give it the "Crackles".

To clean a record you need nothing but distilled water and a fruit cleaning brush. Though a fruit cleaning brush can be used because the bristles won't hurt the record, I highly recommend getting a real record cleaning brush that can be used in water. Try www.Needledoctor.com.

Now soak the record in distilled water (get at any drugstore) and clean with brush. Then use a dish drying rack to net dry. I do not recommended using any kind of alcohol, but if you do, mix it 15% alcohol to 85% distilled water. Good luck

Now soak the record in distilled water (at any drugstore) and clean with brush. Then use a dish drying rack to let dry. I don not recommended using l alcohol, but if you do, mix it 15% alcohol to 85% distilled water. Good luck

Now soak the record in distilled water (buy at any drugstore) and clean with brush. Then use a dish drying rack to let dry. I don not recommended using l alcohol, but if you do, mix it 15% alcohol to 85% distilled water. Good luck

December 27, 2007 Flag

What solution do you use to clean albums? I have the soft applicator but don't know what to put on it.

Carol from Fairview, TN

Answers:

Cleaning Record Albums

I think it is anti static fluid from the record shop but otherwise plain old distilled water works. It doesn't have a charge as this will create more static.If records are very dirty wash with tepid water with a couple of drops of detergent and clean off with a soft cloth. (02/20/2006)

By

Cleaning Record Albums

I've used rubbing alcohol on CDs and on Vinyl in the past .. but I'm not sure if the alcohol would be damaging to the records. You could call a used record shop and ask what they'd suggest!

Good Luck!
Rebekah (02/21/2006)

By Madelynnsmama

Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousDecember 27, 2007
Stack of Record Albums
Crafts Using Record Album Sleeves
Making a Recycled Vinyl Record Tablet Holder
Uses for Photo Albums
Alternative Uses for Photo Albums
Old Record Player
Uses for Old Record Players
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 12:41:03 AM on 10.0.0.227 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.