Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Record Albums

Does anyone know a good safe way to clean old vinyl/LP albums? Professional cleaner is very expensive and I have about 300 plus albums I need to clean before putting them on my new record player.

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By schecky03/23/2010

Do not use any kitchen or bathroom products to clean your records ever! That means Windex, soap, kitchen dish liquid, paper towels, etc etc. This stuff is a record killer. Windex can make a record look clean but give it the "Crackles".

To clean a record you need nothing but distilled water and a fruit cleaning brush. Though a fruit cleaning brush can be used because the bristles won't hurt the record, I highly recommend getting a real record cleaning brush that can be used in water. Try www.Needledoctor.com.

Now soak the record in distilled water (buy at any drugstore) and clean with brush. Then use a dish drying rack to let dry. I don not recommended using l alcohol, but if you do, mix it 15% alcohol to 85% distilled water. Good luck

By schecky03/23/2010

Now soak the record in distilled water (at any drugstore) and clean with brush. Then use a dish drying rack to let dry. I don not recommended using l alcohol, but if you do, mix it 15% alcohol to 85% distilled water. Good luck

By schecky03/23/2010

Now soak the record in distilled water (get at any drugstore) and clean with brush. Then use a dish drying rack to net dry. I do not recommended using any kind of alcohol, but if you do, mix it 15% alcohol to 85% distilled water. Good luck

By Kevin (Guest Post)02/24/2009

How do you separate album covers that had gotten wet and are now stuck together. Need assistance.

By Christine IN (Guest Post)01/25/2008

I would like to know where you got a record player?

By cherie12/29/2007

just use a little soap and water its safe i also thought maybe glass cleaner you get from the eye doctor might work for that to

By Fran (Guest Post)12/29/2007

Hi! Usually I can't answer anything on this type of sites, but I'm proud to say that as a teenager (growing up in the 70's) record albums were all we had. To clean them, just use plain alcohol and a soft cloth. It works wonders, even if some of the albums are scratched! Good luck.

By Kay (Guest Post)12/28/2007

Try Freecycle (join the group through Yahoo) and ask if anyone has any "leftovers" of the cleaning liquid you are looking for....you would be surprised how many people have half used bottles of "things" that they don't know what to do with. The only cost to you, is collecting the items. Worth a try, there might be something in your area. Happy New Year everyone, cheers Katie from Australia

By joan pecsek [88]12/27/2007

My dad was a record collector and he washed his in warm(not hot) soapy water. He used a few drops of liquid dish detergent,washed with a soft dish cloth, rinsed thoroughly,wiped with a soft dish towel, then let them air dry completely. Some say dish soap is bad for records but it didn't hurt his, they played beautifully. In fact, if your records are really dirty(like sticky feeling) nothing but dish soap will clean them.

By Cyinda [214]12/27/2007

I know you can use Pledge to clean CD's & Pledge also gets rid of many skips on CD's... I doubt it'll work on Vinyl though.... Why not call your local "Vintage Record Store"?... I'm sure they don't spend a fortune to clean all of their albums!... I've always just used a piece of 100% cotton flannel... (like you'd make a baby blanket from)... You can buy a soft piece for about a buck or two at any fabric store... as a second idea, an old 100% T-shirt.

I did a little Google search for "cleaning vinyl albums" & found that most people recommend mixing a bit of Isopropyl or Denatured Alcohol with distilled water. They also say to NEVER use dish soap because this is supposed to be bad for the vinyl. Then again, some say, IF the record is Filthy, you have no choice... Here are several ideas:

MORE INFORMATION:
http://www.ehow.com/tips_1625.html

http://reviews.ebay.com/Cleaning-vinyl-records_W0QQugidZ10000000002119447

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Record Albums

What solution do you use to clean albums? I have the soft applicator but don't know what to put on it. Carol from Fairview, TN

RE: Cleaning Record Albums

I think it is anti static fluid from the record shop but otherwise plain old distilled water works. It doesn't have a charge as this will create more static.If records are very dirty wash with tepid water with a couple of drops of detergent and clean off with a soft cloth. (02/20/2006)

By

RE: Cleaning Record Albums

I've used rubbing alcohol on CDs and on Vinyl in the past .. but I'm not sure if the alcohol would be damaging to the records. You could call a used record shop and ask what they'd suggest! Good Luck! Rebekah (02/21/2006)

By Madelynnsmama