Paying to Have Holes Cut in Glass Blocks

I am very interested in making the Christmas decorations out of the glass blocks. Not sure I can cut the hole in them. I did find a place that will do it for $5.00 each. Do you think that is a fair price? I think it sounds a little high. Don't really want to make them to sell, just use them as gifts for the girls I work with and maybe some other friends.

Thanks,
Ruth from Tennessee

Do not pay anyone $5 to drill that hole! I don't know where you're getting them, but here the blocks are less than that! That's means you'd have to sell them for a lot more. Try to find a friend with a drill who is willing to do it for you. That's what I did!

If you don't have a friend with a drill that does this, you can put a little ad on Craig's List or your local community Yahoo group. I'm sure someone would do this for you for $1-2 per block. It is not that hard to do. Definitely don't pay $5.

Here is a poem that would go well with these beautiful creations.

This is a very special gift

that you can never see.

The reason it's so special is

it's for you from me.

Whenever you are lonely

or even feeling blue

you only hold this gift

and know I'm thinking of you.

You can never unwrap it.

Please leave the ribbon tied.

Just hold the close to your heart.

It's filled with love inside.

Hi Ruth and everyone, I found this post on GardenWeb from "lime_coke." First, she said to use eye goggles to protect from possible flying glass chips - safety glasses don't hug your eye area. You must use a diamond drill bit, 1/2" for stringed lights, 1" for lights with a clip (?). Use a spray water bottle to cool the drill bit and go slowly. Harbor Freight and ebay have diamond drill bits available at a cheaper rate. harborfreight.com has them for $4.99. Good luck! Joyce

The poem is just lovely, Thank you so much. It really touched my heart. Did you write it?

I think the stores are on to this need to make gifts out of glass blocks.

Hobby Lobby sells the blocks with the holes already cut out and they supply a stopper ( like a piggy bank) to boot.

Hobby Lobby sells these blocks with holes already in for $9.99 each.

fjd1Au It is really a nice and useful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

I found these blocks at Michaels craft store for $4.99 with the holes already pre cut and the piggy bank stopper as well as the plug that has a slit in it for the strand of lights to hang out to be plugged in! 

Do Not pay to drill these!!! I bought a ½inch glass/tile drill bit at Menards on sale for $2.49!!! And I had never drilled glass before. I have drilled 2 blocks now and it is so easy. Takes about 10 minutes to get thru and spray water on it when it starts smoking and/or you can see the little pieces of glass piling up on the bit. Looks like a white paste. Easy cheezy!

Glass block gift wrapped as a package.
Glass Block Christmas Decoration
Crafts Christmas DecorationsOctober 30, 2008
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
snow glass block
Making a Snow Theme Lighted Glass Block
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
clear and one red glass blocks
Buying Glass Blocks for Crafting
🎉
🎄