Using Jack O'Lanterns After Halloween

One way we save at Halloween is simple. We either wait until the day of to carve our pumpkins OR, we paint on the face with non toxic paint. Then the day after, we cut up the pumpkin, boil in salt water, then peel and mash when cool. I later freeze in freezer containers labeled with the correctly measured amount for what ever pumpkin pie or pumpkin recipe I want to next bake.

When my kids were younger, I mashed and froze in small amounts (usually in an ice cube tray, then transferred when frozen to a larger bag to hold all the pumpkin cubes) for baby food.

The days following Halloween are a good time to get very inexpensive pumpkins--but don't wait too long, as the prices will go back up in about a week in prep for Thanksgiving.

By mom-from-missouri from NW Missouri

I found that Jack O'Lantern pumpkins have a lot of water that reduces the flavor and makes the pumpkin pie take a long time to set. I used to bake the pumpkins instead of boiling. Now I buy Sugar Baby pumpkins. They are the eating kind. When I was overseas and couldn't get pumpkins, I used squash. Pumpkin is a squash.

I agree that Halloween pumpkins do not make good pie or babyfood, they are too watery and have been developed for size not nutrition. Try a big squash or pie pumpkins.