Keeping Mashed Potatoes Hot

Once you've mashed them, keep them on low, covered in a crockpot. Butter melts well on them. Delicious!

By Betty G.

Hi Betty,

I did this last year at Thanksgiving and Christmas and it does work. I must say I have one of the older Rival Crockpots, I have heard the newer ones cook too hot.

I boiled the potatoes, put them through the ricer, whipped with the electic mixer, added hot cream as needed along with salt and white pepper and then I dumped them into the crockpot, (preheated) on low. They kept for several hours. I also put the suggested butter on top with a little paprika.

This year I'll use a Reynolds cooking bag to line the crockpot so there is no clean up!

I'd recommend only doing this for a couple of hours ahead. Our Thanksgiving is earlier in Canada and I tried it this year but we where having so much fun with our extended family that we turned down the turkey and ate hours after I had intended to and the potatoes had turned VERY watery. The rest of the meal was great and we had so much fun in the afternoon that we just had a good laugh. Next year I think I'll try the suggestion I read somewhere of making the mashed potatoes a day ahead of time and putting them in a casserole dish in the frig, and reheating in the oven that day. Happy thanksgiving to our American friends.

Holidays and Parties Thanksgiving Cooking TipsNovember 17, 2004
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes