Ground chicken and low fat cheese help reduce fat and calories.
1. In a nonstick skillet over low heat, saute´ chicken in oil until chicken turns white. Constantly stir the chicken to keep it from sticking.
2. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato. Cook until chicken mixture is cooked through. Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in the refrigerator.
3. While the chicken mixture is cooling, place the flour in a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make a stiff tortilla-like dough.
4. When the chicken mixture has cooled, mix in the cheese.
5. Divide the dough into 24 portions. With your hands, roll the dough into balls and flatten each ball into a 1/2-inch thick circle. Put a spoonful of the chicken mixture in the middle of each circle of dough and bring the edges to the center. Flatten the ball of dough again until it is 1/2-inch thick.
6. In a very hot, iron skillet, cook the pupusas on each side until golden brown.
7. Serve hot with Curtido salvadoreño
Yield: 12 servings--Serving size: 2 pupusas
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 31 mg
Sodium: 211 mg
Calcium: 149 mg
Iron: 2 mg
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!