Bamboo Jumping Game

What is the old fashioned game (from 1970-73) called that you use two 5-7 foot bamboo sticks and jump in and out. 2 people hold the sticks close to the ground and clap them together in a rhythm. Similar to chinese jump rope I think.

Cindy from Lake Wales, FL

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Jill 4 738 10/07/2006

You're probably thinking of "tininkling" a dance from the Phillipines. (I remember it from P.E. grade school). Google "tininkling" and there are lots of links. Have fun.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Emma (Guest Post) 04/17/2007

Cindy, you must have been in the same girl scout camp as I. I remember playing this as a girl. I was just looking this up to show my daughter, but your post was all I could find. Did you ever get any more information about the game?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 9 2,498 04/17/2007

Here's a link about it: http://www.likha.org/galleries/tinikling.asp

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Renee' B. 1 06/30/2014

It was Hawaiian jump rope - with 2 long bamboo poles. A girl on each end clicked the poles apart on the ground twice, then slide them together. The 3rd girl puts her foot in and out and then jumps in and out. We did it around 1967... at my friends house. Much cooler than Chinese jumprope!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By amy raines 1 08/22/2015

We played this game in 1965 in Balboa, a city in the Canal Zone in Panama. We simply called it sticks. It required 2 6-7 feet bamboo poles. A girl would hold the poles at each end. Then they would move them rhythmically, tapping the ground twice and then bringing them together in the center. Another child would jump between the sticks. It reminded me of "Chinese jump rope," another game girls played in the '60's.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No