Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Can I make patties out of canned mackerel similar to salmon patties?

By cyclechicred from Gastonia, NC

I'm a Save-A-Lot shopper and this is one of our favorite suppers. Canned Salmon I usually replace crab in a creamy crab cake recipe - but with canned Mackerel I use a deviled clam recipe.

Mini Food processor or a blender creates the best results.

-1 medium green pepper, 1 medium onion, 1 medium potato - all raw, cut in chunks and chop very tiny in blender/FP. Empty this mixture in mixing bowl.

-Drain one can of mackerel an toss in blender/FP, bones and all. (They have great calcium and will grind/disappear.) Add 1 large egg and about 2 tbsp of Old Bay or seasoning of choice. Chop for about 30 seconds. Add to mixing bowl.

-Mix all well and gently dip by the spoonful onto bread crumbs and coat. Fry in pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes each side. Serve with cocktail or tartar sauce.

Yes & they taste the same, good luck.

Yes, you can use canned mackeral the same as you do the salmon. I have used it and it doesn't alter the taste at all.

Canned Mackerel
Recipes Using Canned Mackerel
Food and Recipes Recipes SeafoodSeptember 5, 2009
Mackerel Recipes
Open can of tuna.
Draining Canned Tuna
Canned Salmon
Recipes Using Canned Salmon
Canned Beans
Using Canned Beans in a Crockpot