Restoring Pizza Stone to Original Color

I received a pizza stone for a gift. However, with use it has turned very dark almost burned looking. I am not able to restore it to its original color. What did I do or not do to have this happen. My daughter-in-law has a stone and has used it as much as I have and hers does not look like mine. Please help.

Kathleen

The color is normal, nothing to worry about. I have a stone and also loaf pans, and they are discolored, too. It's just a sign of use.

It's supposed to darken with use - the darker it is the less "sticking" it does. It's now seasoned.

The darker the stone becomes the more seasoned and non-stick it becomes. And don't used soap or cleaners on your stone. Just water and a rag or brush and scrap off any baked on bits if necessary.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Pizza-Baking-Stones

I throw mine in the oven during the self cleaning cycle, and it comes out as if it is new.

Mine is very dark. It is ok. Don't do anything to it.

The darker the better, your pizza's will taste better

It is supposed to darken with use.The darker it becomes, the better it cooks.

WHATEVER you do, don't clean it with soap or any cleaners of any kind. It will stay in the stone forever.

I have one from Pampered Chef. Mine has been used a lot and has gotten dark and very smooth. I thought this was the way you were suppose to keep it. Nothing every sticks to it. I just rinse it off with water, never soap, and it always cooks great.

I also have a Pampered Chef baking stone. IT is about 15 years old. At the 1st demonstration for items we were told that the stone, once used, would continue to darken. Mine looks almost black. We were also told never, but never to use anything to clean it except water & a paper towel. I love mine as the greatest thing about it is you do not have to preheat it like many other pizza stones. If you are uncertain as to whether or not yours is a Pampered Chef brand, turn it over & if it is it will have their logo on the bottom. Good luck.

I accidently left mine in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle. It came out looking like new. I did look it up and they don't recommend doing this though because it could crack your stone and then it would not be under warranty anymore.

I'm so sorry I didn't see this before.

I bought 2 pizza stones, one large, one medium at garage sales and my grandson uses them all the time, and they got oily, stained, burnt, etc.

Threw them in the oven on middle shelves when self cleaning,

thinking if they cracked well.....they came clean as new and I let them cool before touching. Perfect.

I was told never to use soap or cleaner. Scrap food debris after your stone has cooled down from cooking. If you absolutely feel you need to rinse, to do a quick rinse and immediate dry with a towel. Then condition it with a light rub of olive oil. I agree the stone has character with the spots and darkening. And much like cast iron cooking it becomes "seasoned" and non-stick after several uses.

In bocca al lupo!

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesDecember 31, 2008
Installer Pavers
Making a Paving Stone Patio
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Man Kneading Pizza Dough
Freezing Pizza Dough
A woman kneading pizza dough.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipes
🎉
🎄