Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Bathroom throw rugs with crumbled backing - what to do with them?

I have some very good bathroom rugs - the only problem is the rubber non-slip backing which is crumbling. Does anyone know if there's a way to rejuvenate these? Can the backing be removed in some way and a new one sprayed on? I also thought maybe I could sew fabric on the back but don't know how much trouble that would be.

I hate to throw these away as the top (rug) side looks like new. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

randysmom

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Jack S.12/20/2012

They sell a rubber type gel that is used to coat parts of certain hand tools; I'm thinking about buying a container and pouring or brushing this stuff on the back of the rugs. The product is sold at Lowes/Menards/Home Depot in tool departments. I don't know if the stuff dries hard or soft.

By foxygram [7]10/23/2010

Give them to a humane society, pet shelter.

By Grandma J [46]10/10/2010

Just air dry toilet lid covers and bathroom rugs. Not meant for hot temps. When mine get to this point, I find another use for them, something always needs a padding.

By janene winkhart [1]07/24/2007

peel all that stufff off, get a brush and that makes it faster to get rid of it too Dont need it anyway and it just goops up washer JWinkhart

By sumana (Guest Post)07/26/2004

i have have washed bathroom rugs in my washer. but i am scared to dry them in dryer. is it safe to dry it in dryer? It takes days together to dry completely if dried in the sun. i really need some help. Does anyone know about this?

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]06/07/2003

You can use a piece inexpensive rubber matting, sold for this purpose, under the rug.

First thought is, how are you washing the rug? Putting it into the dryer will help to dry out the rubber ... also storing rubber back rugs in the closet will make the back deteriorate too.

Letting rugs air dry will extend the rugs life!

Syd

Here are questions related to Bathroom throw rugs with crumbled backing - what to do with them?.

Question: Removing Rug Backing

What do you do with rugs that are still very useable, but the backing is coming off? I have tried to remove it by washing, but made the biggest mess in my washroom and all of the backing did not come off. Thanks in advance for any help.

By Owechko

Most Recent Answer

By Luann D. [5]01/16/2013

Don't throw the bathroom rugs out that have lost their rubber backing. Get as much of the crumbles off as possible. Get rubber shelf lining to hold them in place, and position the rugs in your bathroom as you enter. I must have 4 or 5 bathroom rugs in this condition, and would never consider throwing them out, because the carpet pile is still is excellent condition. Just remember when washing them, use cold water, then air dry!