Product Review: Soot Eater Chimney Rod

Product: Soot Eater Chimney Rod

Cost: $75-$90

I wanted to clean my chimney before I started using the fireplace. I went to my local Ace Hardware Store and purchased the 'Soot Eater Chimney Rod' for $82. This contraption looks like a weedeater and basically works like one! I used my husband's cordless drill or you can use an electric drill. It comes with 5 rods so it will fit nearly any size chimney in height and dimension. They also make a sweep for pellet stoves. I LOVE this product. It worked like a charm and was sooooo easy to use. I HIGHLY recommend using this before you start a fire if you are not sure how much build up you have in your chimney.

By Laurie from Pahrump

Thank You for posting this! ...I heated our homes using only wood for over 20 years & I remember always being afraid that there might be build-up in the chimney, but we were so poor we couldn't afford to have anyone come in & clean it. Fortunately there was never a chimney fire... But this idea, a do-it-yourself chimney cleaner is the best idea I've heard about in years!

---> But, I have 2 questions, do you put a tarp down or what? And, how much of a mess does it make?

Depending on how much build up you have will determine if you need to put down a tarp. Mine wasn't too bad but I still taped a bag over the opening. Below is a site that will show you what the product looks like and some reviews from other customers. ... y_Chimney_Cleaning_System-48956357-p!.shtml

Home and Garden Home Improvement Fireplaces and StovesDecember 18, 2008
Logs burning in a fireplace.
Cleaning Your Fireplace
cleaning walls
Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
Brick Chimney
Saving Money on Chimney Cleaning