Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Do You Use a Convection Oven?

Hi I am looking for how to info on convection/microwave ovens. The manual is great for instructing on how to set the temps and times but is useless for everything else.

Please help with a few, probably dumb, questions.

1) When using the convection should it heat from top and bottom or just the top.

2) Do you leave the glass plate in when you use the convection?

3) It came with a metal pizza pan. Does this mean it is safe to use metal in this oven at all times?

Basically we know nothing about this machine that came in our RV and cannot find anyone that can tell us how to us it. If we cannot figure it out we will be forced to have an actual oven installed.

Thanks for any help or advise you can give.

Robert from Bothell, WA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By susan [5]11/28/2007

I had one for years and absolutely loved it. The metal tray is to be used only for the convection oven. The glass plate stays in at all times. I was able to use mine in microwave, convection, or either of two modes that used both. I rarely used my full size oven and just used the convection to save time and electricity. If you put in something to bake and run short on time, just switch to microwave to finish it off. One Thanksgiving, I baked my 14 pound turkey in mine. I never had a single problem with mine until it quit. I'd get another in a heartbeat if I could find a large, countertop one rather than the cheap, flimsy ones. Mine did a great job on cookies, cakes, pies, pizza, and breads too.

By Mindy (Guest Post)11/28/2007

I've had a Sharp Convection Microwave Oven for years. I love it. Mine came with metal racks & a metal turntable that I use for both convection cooking and microwave cooking. I never thought about the heat source, but on mine it's on the side. Usually convection cooking takes less time. For Thanksgiving, I cooked a 12 lb turkey in 90 minutes. An 8 lb roaster takes about an hour. Take the time to learn how to use it. You won't be sorry.

By Marge Mayhew [2]11/24/2007

My very first microwave oven was a "microwave/convection oven" also. I remember I bought it at Montgomery Ward and had it for many years. It was huge and took up so much counter space! When microwaves finally came down in price I sold it at a garage sale (along with the instruction manuel) and bought a new, small microwave which suited my small kitchen much better. As I recall............the metal pan was to be used ONLY while in the "convection" mode. I think the glass bottom tray stayed in at all times, microwave and convection. IF I used a glass baking dish I could use the oven in both modes. It would microwave for awhile, then switch to convection and alternate back and forth. It sounded great.........but did not work all that well! The problem I had was that if I used the convection oven it would cause the door to warp ever so slightly.........and then the microwave version would not work because the door did not seal tightly! It would take days......and me repeatedly pushing and twisting on the door before it would latch properly again for the microwave to work!!! I stopped using the convection oven part and just limited my use to the microwave as that is what I used it for the most. It also had a "probe" that plugged into a spot inside the oven and the probe could be inserted into a roast or turkey so it would cook until the proper temperature was reached. Again......that sounded great, and helped sell me that unit, but in the end it was a pain in the neck that did not work all that well! I think that's about the time I finally got smart and figured out that often all the bells and whistles on appliances (and machines and cars) actually are not worth the time and extra money and aggravation they cause.......and they rarely work as advertised.!!!

By C. R.11/23/2007

You might try the web sight of the company that make your oven.

Good luck - I've been thinking of getting one - let us know how you like it after you've used it a while.