Tips for Hang Drying Clothing

Enjoy many benefits from using your clothes dryer less. You'll save energy and money by running it less. In colder, dryer climates and seasons you'll put moisture back into the air by hanging your clothes to dry; therefore, running a humidifier less if you use one. When you hang your clothes to dry, your house smells good like clean laundry. Or if you line dry outside, you're clothes smell so good when you bring them in.

It's already been mentioned here that if you don't like the rough feel of your hang-dried clothes to put them in the dryer for about five minutes. If you can deal with rough towels, though, they make for great skin exfoliators after a shower or bath and soften up after the first time using them.

By Britt Y. from Boston, MA

If you are expecting a frost overnight, leave your washing out on the line...the frost softens the fabric!

For more delicate tops, put them on a clothes hangar and peg the hangar to the line.

If you have a problem with pet hair, the wind is great! Just remember to peg it up securely!

I live in Massachusetts where temperatures can dip well below zero. I hang my clothes out on the line most of the year. In cold climates, you need to watch the weather and get them out early on good days. They may take all day to dry. When I worked full-time, I would put my clothes out on the line before I went to work, and then take them in right when I got home.

As the weather gets better, I may be able to hang out two or three loads of laundry each nice day.

The benefits of hanging out my laundry are many:

I get to be out in the day,

I save money on electricity,

I am doing my part to save the environment by using less resources and

I have less wear and tear on my clothes.

I still have my same dryer I had when I moved into my house (about 19 years ago). It probably only has the wear of a 1 year old dryer. If my dryer does break down, there will be no emergency purchase. I know I can do without one until I find a great deal and have the money to spend on one.

When I lived in an apartment, I had a line out my window. In fact, when my husband and I went to Italy we loved seeing every house and apartment with a clothes line out their windows. It seemed that everyone hanged out their laundry, no matter what the weather conditions. I think it is just a matter of what you get used to. I hope this helps.

Pollen allergy sufferers CAUTION: Hanging wash outdoors can leave the clothes covered with pollen. Just be watchful of the season according to your allergies.

Primary Colored Shirts on Clothesline
Line Drying Clothing Tips and Tricks
Better Living Green Living Cleaning TipsApril 9, 2009
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Installing a Breezecatcher Rotary Clothesline