My Frugal Life: Lessons From Baking Bread

Baking bread is a discipline/routine. Many people have goals to get to this or that, for example, to bake a few loaves of bread. The discipline to get to a goal, or to have that routine in your day, is usually harder than doing the actual thing you wanted to do.

Take baking bread. Sure, there's the kneading (who doesn't mind a free workout while standing in the kitchen making dinner?), and cleanup; but the reality of bread baking is simply a small piece of discipline in your daily lifestyle. It takes small steps/stages, spread out over time, to make a yeast or sourdough bread.

Baking your own bread takes a little planning, but it is highly rewarding. Not only do you save money by making your own bread (flour from restaurant supply store is wonderful!), but you get the incentive to discipline yourself throughout the day, doing things little by little. So, if you're thinking of other goals rather than baking bread, the same can be said of them as well. Don't focus on the task (which is usually just a "to do" and not a looming thing), but focus on your routine. You want to make bread? OK, plan three short times during the day to work on it, and it will be accomplished over time. Or, you want to learn something? Plan little pieces of time during your days and it will add up. Baking bread and learning more about baking is a discipline, and is teaching me discipline.

By Davidicdancer from Spokane, WA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

And the payback is exponential. Thinking about how it rises,the scent of yeast, the perfume of baking bread, the first slice with butter......So worth the effort.

I am teaching my 9yr old DD how to bake bread!, she is enjoying using her muscles and I am enjoying showing her how to be self sufficient, she will soon learn that bread at the store and bread from home are not even the same! What a warm feeling.

I bake bread once a week; I make a double batch which yields about 6 loaves of bread. I enjoy the task of making the bread dough, kneading and watching the bread dough rise; placing it in the loaf pans, another rise and then baking the bread; my home is filled with the fragrance of warm bread and achieves a cozy feeling in my home. I keep my bread making items organized in my pantry on a 4-tiered shelf so it is handy for me to get my bread baking process started on Thursday evening. I bake sourdough bread so it takes two days to make it; one day to prepare it; rise overnight and then bake it that next afternoon...and yes..it is a discipline to learn the art of bread making. It does take time to learn to bake the warm, delicious bread that everyone loves to enjoy. It gives me great satisfaction for my family and friends to enjoy a slice of my homemade bread.

I'm so glad to hear that others enjoy baking bread as much as I do. There's nothing to replace the whole experience and wisdom in it, or the look on a family member's face when they come home to the smell of freshly baked bread.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeFebruary 18, 2011
Closeup of a woman playing keyboard
Saving Money on Music Lessons
High Protein Bread Recipes
High Protein Bread Recipes
Woman Picking Vegetable from her  Garden
Lessons from the Garden
Depression Era Bank
Frugal Living Lessons from the Great Depression
🎄
🍂