Removing Grease Stain - Tried Lots of Things

My son has a red Ohio State hoodie and got grease on it from his job. He washed and dried it in hopes that the grease would come out. It didn't come out.

He had asked me to see if I could get it out, I used carbon tec (the chemical the dry cleaners use), after I sprayed it with that, I used a toothbrush on it, then sprayed it with Simple Green scrubbed it again with the toothbrush. I washed and dried it in hopes to getting the stain out.

Is the stain in there forever or is there something else I can use to get the grease out?

By Chris T. from Sagamore Hills, OH

It is hard to remove grease, and drying the garment sets the stain in, so it is possible the stain will not come out. But you can try Lestoil or those waterless hand cleaners mechanics use. One is called Goop. Or try a spray on degreaser like Fantastic. Don't expect miracles, though.

Dawn dish detergent (original kind) on the front and back of the stain, let soak in then wash. Do this over again until stain is gone.

Thanks to Mary Hunt from Everyday Cheapskate, I found Soilove! I had several shirts that were hung on the "at home only" side of my closet because of set-in stains. One treatment of Soilove and now I can wear them anywhere!

I had to order it on-line because it is not in stores in my area. I will never be without it!

You can buy it at: http://www.soapsgonebuy.com

Try ironing the article over some thicknesses of paper towel. The iron will heat up the grease and the paper will absorb it - it may take a few times. Good luck.

PineSol directly on the spot washed in warm water will get out any grease stain including ball point pen! For a dirty stain, you might have to do a bit of rubbing, but when I get those grease stains on clothing, I just pretreat with Pinesol and then wash. It smells a bit piney, but it gets out the grease better than anything else I've tried.

GOOP! I live with a house full of mechanics. It works wonderful. Put a little on the stain. Rub with fingers make sure its in, then toss in laundry. Can also use it safely in washer.

November 24, 2009 Flag

I've tried simple green, I've used the orange hand wash you use to remove grease stains, I've used dish soap. Nothing is taking the grease out of my jacket. What do I do?

Answers:

I've had a lot of luck with dishwashing liquid (not the kind for dishwashers, the kind used for hand washing dishes). Just put a bit on, rub in and wash. It works on set in stains, also. Really bad ones may need two washings. (01/03/2005)

By Susan

Lestoil; it smells strong, but because it has petroleum distillates, it will remove any grease stain. Just apply it directly, let it soak in for a few minutes, then wash normally (warm to hot water). You may need to rewash to remove the odor. (01/04/2005)

By Kathy

As a last resort, ammonia has been very effective for me. You can pour it directly on the stain then launder as usual. You can also put a cup or two into your load of laundry. (01/04/2005)

By Faye

Spray with WD40 then wash as usual. This works great for all my grease stains. (01/04/2005)

By Leanne

Try Dawn dish soap. When I have what seems to be impossible grease stains, I liberally spread Dawn, wait 5 minutes and wash. I have never had a stain get passed the Dawn dishsoap. (01/04/2005)

By Karen

If it is on something you do not want to wash, try putting powder on the stain. Let it set for several hours and brush it off. Repeat until oil/grease is absorbed and gone. (01/04/2005)

By toni k.

Spray and Wash works for me. Spray it on, wait an hour, wash like normal. (01/22/2007)

By Mandee

Yes, Dawn dish liquid or Coca Cola. Both are great stain relievers for grease. (09/09/2007)

By Mary

Try using lighter fuel, it actually says on the bottle that its great for removing grease, oil, and tar. (02/01/2008)

By Sacha

Leather will eventually dissipate oil and grease of its own accord. An excess can be carefully removed from durable leathers with mineral spirits or kerosene on a cloth. (Don't use anything highly flammable like gasoline or cigarette lighter fluid, and always ensure adequate ventilation until fumes are gone.) (10/23/2008)

By Red Neck

Gasoline. I used it several times for the many times. I got grease gunk on different outfits. (02/24/2009)

By Negi

Woman removing a Grease stain.
Removing Grease (Oil) Stains from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsNovember 24, 2009
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
person in t-shirt pouring food oil in bowl
Cleaning Food Oil Stains from T-Shirts
Woman in white lace shirt gazing down
Removing Grease Stains on Lace Clothing
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
🎉
🎄