MicePest Control

What is the Safest Product for Cleaning Up Mouse Droppings?

The mice have left their droppings in my silverware and junk drawer. What is a safe product to use to clean the drawer, pens, pencils, misc. metal, and wood serving utensils?

By nanny from WI

The first step is to eliminate the mice.

The droppings and urine can contain a pathogen called Hantavirus. This is a dangerous pathogen. The symptoms of Hantavirus are flu-like (fever, chills. muscle aches. A person may feel better for a short time but then develop shortness of breath which can result in respiratory failure.

Other symptoms may include dry cough, general ill feeling (malaise), headache, nausea and rapid shallow breathing.

When cleaning a surgical mask or canister respirator should be worn.

Thoroughly clean the infected area and the utensils washed in hot water.

Super wash cycle in the dishwasher and toss a 1/4 cup of bleach in before running.

Anonymous

First, I would get rid of the wood utensils completely because that wood is porous and will soak up possible mouse urine. Anything that can go in the dishwasher should go in the dish washer and run on the longest, hottest cycle. Things like pens and paint coated pencils probably won't withstand the dishwasher so use plenty of isopropyl alcohol to wipe those type of items down really well and also use the isopropyl to wipe down the inside of the drawers really well too! Definitely wear a surgical mask while cleaning this all up and definitely latex or rubber gloves!

Anonymous

The drawers should be sprayed with Hydrogen Peroxide it will kill any bacteria that is present I was told this by a RN Nurse she said it was a wonderful cleaner. I use it to clean all my house counters and walls, I bought a spray bottle at Walmart.

After cleaning all the droppings out with a wet paper towel, I'd spray it good with a bleach/water mixture. That will get rid of any bacteria or anything they have left behind.