Wiring Requirements for a Nema 5-20r Plug

I am a weekend warrior musician and I just acquired a power amp that has a Nema 5-20r plug on it. Could someone tell me how to wire an outlet for it? How can I tell if my current wiring will handle it? At gigs I will run a pig tail with a 20 amp breaker to the breaker box.

By bertybert from LA

Answers

5-20 is a nema configuration. Since you have a plug, it is actually 5-20p. I am not at work so I can't verify it, but I assume it is 120v. If so, you need wire rated for 20amps, and a 5-20r receptacle, which should be 20a 120v. You can get these items at any hardware store or home center where they also should know local requirements and codes. I would put it on a dedicated circuit with it's own breaker to keep the current as clean as possible to help prevent distortion through the amp. If it is a tube type amp, it will not be as sensitive to distortion as a solid state where harmonics come into play. Please consult an electrician if you have further questions or haven't done this yourself before. Err on the side of safety.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricDecember 24, 2009
Woman Troubleshooting Wiring Problem
Troubleshooting Wiring Problems
Squirrel Chewing
Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring
Old Vacuum Cleaner and Hose
Repairing a Torn Vacuum Cleaner Hose
Artificial Christmas Tree
Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Not Working
🎄