Mop Recommendations for Polished Board Floors

I have just bought a home with polished boards and I don't know what is the best thing to clean them with. I have tried most of the current 'flashy' mops - except for the Swiffer. I am currently 'mopless' but unsure what is the best type to purchase. Please help! Thanks.

kjp from Melbourne, Australia

By "polished boards" I assume you mean hardwood? For a good cleaning, I use Liquid Gold Wood Wash in a bucket of water and a regular string yacht mop.

To spruce it up and add a little shine I use the Orange Glo kit that comes with a microfiber mop and polishing solution. Very quick and easy.

For daily "dusting" you can use a broom; I find that the Swiffer duster just pushes stuff around except for the dust bunnies. My favorite, though, is my 30+ year old wool dust mop!

Not sure if you can get your hands on it there, but we have a product called Murphy's Soap, it is a great thing for wood floors. And as far as a mop goes, use the socks on your feet!

I protect my feet with used bread bags, something plastic, and then layer my feet with three pairs of old socks. Skate around the house picking up all the nasty, and get excersie too. Floors are done, and I can "feel" that the dust and grime are gone. Pitch the socks, or wash them.

If by polished boards you mean laminate style flooring, you can do as I do with mine. Make a vinegar and water solution of 1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon warm water. Go barefoot, and take a clean cotton rag wrung out in the vinegar water, and push it around a 2'x2' section of floor. Repeat until water is dirty and make more solution. If there is a stubborn stain, place wrung out rag in it for about 10 minutes, then wipe it right up. When finished, take a shower or wash your feet under the bath tub faucet. Vinegar cleans, deodorizes and acts as a mild disinfectant. The "salad dressing" smell disperses quickly, and there is no residue, hence no need to rinse.

I don't like my laminated floor that we put down in an area of worn out carpet. Needs dusting daily (kids and dog) and so I find old wash cloths made into hand mitts work well on both hands and feet. Skate to buff. DON"T make too slippery, you may be the first to fall. I would wipe up with a wash rag, then spray a slight amount of polishing on the ones going on my hands or feet. Sort of an exercise at the same time!

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsDecember 30, 2008
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Steam Mop
Using a Steam Mop
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 7:06:18 AM on 10.0.0.161 in 987 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.