Reuse Newspaper As A Garbage Can Liner and Other Tips

Here's a tip to help make a huge difference for our green planet. Keep old newspapers that are abundant in recycle dumpsters. Line in home trash containers with old newspaper. Simply press the newspaper against the sides of the trash bin or leave loose with several papers layered beneath. At the end of the day, gather and roll in a ball a few pages of the newspaper holding your daily trash, and dispose in an outside trash receptacle lined with a 100% biodegradable bag or similar/recycled plastic liner.

To really make a difference, purchase 100% recycled bags at select markets or online. Keep a flat stack of old newspapers right under the trash container making easy access.

Note: newspaper decomposes and generally has soy based ink.

Say "no" to plastic or paper bags at stores. (bring cloth bags, they're great!) Save money, and save critters from harmful plastic waste in landfill areas.

By Lydia from Redwood City, CA.

Lydia, You jogged my memory: my Mom used to make a bag out of old newspapers, which she put in the wastebaskets. I don't remember the steps, but it was simple - I used to do it. (This was 45 years ago). -- Mary

This is a great idea. I have been trying to switch to a greener lifestyle but so far the only "green" garbage bags I have found are very expensive. I was just wondering how to avoid the mess factor of using newspapers. Is their a pattern or something to make a real "bag" from the newspapers? I would love to use it if anyone has one! Thanks for the tip!

Uses for Newspaper, Stack of Newspapers
Uses for Newspaper
Better Living Green Living ReusingAugust 16, 2007
Plastic Newspaper Bag
Uses for Plastic Newspaper Bags
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Panty Liners
Cleaning a Stuck Panty Liner From Clothing
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage