Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Getting Rid of Wild Violets

How can I rid the of wild violets? They are taking over fast.

By Linda from Yadkin, NC

By Lucy [48]04/11/2011

Why don't you want to have wild violets?

By Eileen M. [53]04/04/2011

Assuming you have a grass lawn, any broadleaf herbicide should work on the violets. They are prolific seeders, so you will probably have to retreat for several years to get all the new plantlets.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Wild Violets

How do I get rid of violets in my yard, they are taking over. Does anyone have any suggestions on how do get rid of them?

Archive: Getting Rid of Wild Violets

How can I kill African violets in my lawn?

By jonrob100 from Macomb, MI

RE: Getting Rid of Wild Violets

Well you didn't say you were adverse to using chemicals. So I would check out weed killers that say they will not harm lawns at Lowe's or Home Depot. You could also call a nursery listed as nurseries (plants and trees) or try plants in the yellow pages. Also, you could look up landscape in the yellow pages and ask them or have one of their folks come over for a look see and get their recommendations. Lastly of course is to pull up the violets yourself by hand. Lot of work doing it that way. (08/21/2009)

By foxrun41

RE: Getting Rid of Wild Violets

Such a pretty plant. Don't kill them, use them or give them away. They grow best in a wet place, so if you have a spot where other things won't grow that's where to put them. In other words, dig them up and replant somewhere else, or offer them to somebody else. I bet you'll find somebody who would love them.

If after digging you have a small hole (they have a shallow root system) fill with a little earth and grass seed. In about 2 weeks you'll have grass instead of the violets. Poison may seem easy, but please do not use it. We harm more than we fix. (08/21/2009)

By quiltmum

RE: Getting Rid of Wild Violets

Those wild violets are so pretty. If you don't like having them, place an ad in Freecycle, or on Craig's List offering them to whoever wants them. You can dig up the clump when folks come to claim them. Or dig'em up and plant them in a bare spot at the closest school, or the library, or at the entrance to your subdivision, or anywhere there is a bare spot. They are so pretty. (08/31/2009)

By Barb in TN

Archive: Getting Rid of Wild Violets

What is the best way to get rid of violets?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

By Sue from Andover, MN

RE: Getting Rid of Wild Violets

You call somebody like me who would love to have any flowers anywhere in the yard and have them dig them up. (05/10/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

RE: Getting Rid of Wild Violets

Use Weed and Feed. (05/11/2010)

By yoder178

RE: Getting Rid of Wild Violets

A weed is a plant out of place. Doesn't mean it's not a good plant, just in the wrong place. Wild violets are stubborn weeds. The principle of eradication is: weaken them, then kill them. Use Ortho Weed B Gon Lawn Weed Killer for chickweed, clover, and oxalis with 8% triclopyr. (It's stronger than the usual Weed B Gon MAX plus crabgrass). Use a standard garden hose sprayer attachment and spray the whole lawn on a dry day. Then repeat the spray 2-3 weeks later. If you try pulling them, they just duplicate from the root fragments, spread, and come back stronger. An alternative is to poison the entire lawn and kill everything, then reseed. (05/22/2010)

By 8642

RE: Getting Rid of Wild Violets

Can't get rid of these pesky buggers? Hogwash, get a herbicide containing 60%+ of the active ingredient Triclopyr (Turflon Ester, Garlon 4, etc.). Mix 1.5 oz with 5 oz of Killex concentrate and add about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of dish detergent as a sticker to 1 gallon of water. Spray the little buggers and repeat after 4-6 weeks. You may need to spot treat as necessary after these applications. My lawn was infested with wild violets and this combo virtually eradicated them as well as other resilient broadleaf species such as wild strawberry. (07/22/2010)

By Seawood