Dog Biting Tail and Scratching His Back

By Glenda 1

I have an 8 year old Spitz. He bites at his tail and scratches his back a lot. When he does this, he yelps and barks. Is there anything I can do?

By Glenda from Westport, KY

Showing: Answers Sort

By RJ 2 Flag

Is it possible that he has fleas or a tick? You can get rid of a tick by using an cotton ball soaked with rubbing alcohol and holding it on the tick for two minutes and then removing the tick with a pair of tweezers. Washing your dog with Sunlight soap is said to kill fleas but you might want something to help deter them, if so get a safe treatment from your vet, the ones in the grocery store are not always safe for your dog. If your dog doesn't have fleas you should have him checked by a vet, dogs have an anal gland that can become infected and it sometimes needs to be drained.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Patricia Eldridge 269 Flag

Most dog foods today are filled with allergens that cause skin problems. It's possible your dog is allergic to some of the ingredients in his food. You could try changing to a "natural" dog food.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By d horner 2 82 Flag

When your pet yelps in pain routinely, you need to take them to the vet. This could be allergies, the anal gland, fleas or a few other things...especially if you bought a puppy milled dog as pet stores and kennels sell.

It isn't right to leave the dog in the current condition. Buying remedies based on wild guesses will cost you as much as a vet visit while the dog suffers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By vicki hood 4 563 Flag

See my former posts. Dry borax in carpets. Bathe with oatmeal shampoo 2 times. For skin and itch willards water xxx 2 oz. per gal water spray on affected areas. Clean up diet. His immune system has been somewhat destroyed.Go Natural diet. Raw if possible but at least stop all corn wheat and soy.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Gloria Hayes 19 96 Flag

I have an 11 year old Spitz who suffered horribly with the same thing,but I finally cured it. First of all,he is probably allergic to fleas. I tested mine by giving him an oral flea medicine from the vet (30.00 per month), and the itching and crying out stopped.Medicine wore off, right back to scratching and yelping. Medicine, no fleas, no scratching, again.

I couldn't afford to keep the medicine up for all three dogs, so I found a homemade solution from Dollar General: Two-packs of lice treatment shampoo!

I trimmed the hair at his lower back and tail, rubbed plenty of the shampoo in very well (the fleas had already bedded because the fur there is so thick) and left the shampoo on for about five minutes.Then I put him in the bathtub with about 4 inches of water: enough to rinse the concentrated shampoo out,and dilute it into the water. Then I used this same water as a flea dip. Result? No more whining and scratching, and he can lie around and sleep in peace, as any old gentleman prefers to do. Cost? maybe two dollars

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Pets Dogs HealthOctober 31, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Cockatoo is Scratching Itself
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 11:10:18 AM on 10.0.1.169 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings