Storing Bread

Where do you keep your bread? I am trying to unclutter my kitchen countertops and was wondering where everyone keeps their bread. If you put it in a breadbox or cabinet, doesn't it mold real fast because of the darkness? Thanks for your help!

By Paula from USA

We keep ours in the fridge, and it lasts quite a while.

I buy 2 loafs of bread when it's on sale and put one in the freezer and one in the fridge. It doesn't mold and stays fresh longer that way, and when you're out, you always have an extra one in the freezer!

I keep mine in the microwave. Out of sight.

We store our bread in a black bread box. It seems to keep quite well. We do sometimes place bread in the freezer, but I must say my husband is not a fan of that... he says it tastes to stale.

We keep ours in the fridge, and store extra in the freezer. We go through it fairly fast, but I am sure to buy the "softest" loaves on the shelf. I just give a quick pat on the top, a friend in college passed that tip to me. We have dry summers here, so it keeps it moist, and doesn't affect the sandwich.

Several have mentioned keeping bread in the fridge....I have never done that. Besides it being cold, is it soft? I have frozen extra bread and sometimes it's fine when defrosted and sometimes it seems hard and dry. We go through bread fairly quickly and I just hate running out to the store for it so often but have never known the best way to make last longer other than freezing.

We eat whole wheat bread and we keep ours in a drawer in our kitchen island. We usually go through it fairly fast, so mold is not a problem.

But, I have kept it in the fridge before, but due to not having enough space in the fridge to keep it there we moved it to the island drawer.

I have never had a loaf stored in the fridge to dry out. As long as the bag is closed tightly and doesn't have a hole anywhere it should be kept in the fridge just fine.

I keep mine in the oven with cookies, chips, & crackers. Living alone, I use the oven only to bake Pumpkin Pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas!

JoanDogs

I too have mine mold but I do buy the fresh ones. Buy yours with this secret from bread company.

Mon. Blue tie

Tues.Red

Thurs. Green

Fri. White

Sat. Yellow................Hope this is a help for buying

i spoke with a bread man. the color of the ties are not day specific for each bakery. some bakers only use one color tie. so dont depend on that.

Have used the microwave, the regular oven, the special metal bread-box drawer (metal liner & lid inside regular deep drawer). Favorites are the microwave & bread-box drawer. Don't really like bread from the freezer, sometimes it's ok. Frozen bread can be used for toasting. Takes the same amount of time with no loss of flavor or texture. I put bread in the freezer when I think it's getting too old & might go bad. You can lightly toast bread for sandwiches if you're eating them immediately.

I freeze my entire loaf of bread, taking out only the number of pieces that I need to use. Put the frozen slices in my microwave and DEFROST FOR A FEW SECONDS ONLY. Put the slightly damp bread slice on a paper towel to absorb the moiture BUT ONLY IF NEEDED. Then we have fresh bread to make our sandwhich!

THIS WORKS SO WELL THAT MY HUSBAND HAS NO IDEA THAT IT WAS (ORIGNIALLY) FROZEN and he is such a picky eater, if he did know it he probably wouldn't eat it!

I do not have to throw moldy bread out anymore, thank goodness as it was getting pretty expensive!

Good luck and try this out it does work, I promise!

I have a wooden bread box, no problems with mold and our bread always last little over a week.

I always keep bread in the freezer and have never had a problem with this, it is always fresh. It only takes a few minutes to thaw out on a board while I am getting sandwich ingredients ready, or for toast you don't have to defrost it at all.

My new hiding spot for the bread is inside my cabinet due to nosy housecats. My bread always lasts over 1 week. Sometimes if i've had it going on 10 days and its not getting moldy yet, just stale, i make my husbands favorite bread pudding with the old bread. this way it generally doesn't get wasted!! we also live next to a lake where the mallards and the geese are tame and come up to be fed the old bread.

I am on a fixed income so when i buy a few loaves i put one in the frig and the other in the freezer and all i do is put a few slices in the microwave for just about 2 sec and its just as fresh as the day i bought ot

Having a multitude of discount bread stores nearby, but little gas, I buy 6 loaves of sale bread @ $.65 ea., hot dog/hamburger buns, and a $1.00 bag of sale snacks (small various favored fried pies, choc. covered donuts, cupcakes) then get a "freebie" for

a certain total at the register.

God showed me the SECRET: I double-wrap breads in last week's clean bread wrappers, freezing them all except the one we're eating on. I freeze the rest until needed, not by the piece but by the bag, stacking tightly and neatly towards the front of my freezer.

We usually roast hot dogs over the firepit 1-2 x week, using up the buns in two uses, so I put

back into the freezer what is unused. Breads of all sorts thaw VERY quickly (and likely freeze quickly), like 1 min. per slice in the air, and only 3 seconds if heated in the microwave, snacks microwave quickly, so the issue of freezing is really one of preventing freezer burn, not in the thawing, you see.

I store what I am using that week in the kit. cabinet nearest the Microwave, over the work counter and next to the plates, since we make sandwiches often without better food. God says not to worry TOO much about our body, being grateful for whatever He provides.

I keep mine in the cabinet, no problems.

My supervisor purchases over 200 loaves of bread a week plus have 1oo loaves on hand. Is this a bad practice and if so how can I make her understand that she over purchasing bread and it will become stale?

She keeps the bread at room temperature from 5:30 a.m until 8:00 p.m same day.

this article was fairly informative

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/foo ... ceid=198&bdc=2376&enotes=yes

Storing Bread
Storing Bread
Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadSeptember 10, 2006
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
🎉
🎄