Can I Plant Tulips Now?

I have been given several dozen tulip bulbs that were just pulled out to make way for summer flowers. Can I plant them now? I do not have a garage to store them in. Will the mice get them if I store in the basement? Do I put the whole plastic bag in an extra refrigerator as you advised someone else?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Micki from Alexandria, VA

I don't know if it would work to plan tulips now or not. When I had a yard I planted things like that in the fall, and as the tulips were almost done blooming I planted annuals in between the tulips and cut the tulip greenery down as they were done blooming.

The bag in the fridge provides the cold cycle they need to bloom, but I believe you can plant them now, they just won't bloom until next spring. The leaves nourish the bulbs for the blooming cycle.

I wondered the same thing. I got a potted plant from someone and wondered if I could plant them outside and if they would grow if I planted them now. I guess I won't know till I try but if someone definitely knew they would not bloom next year, I would not bother.

Row of Tulips
Growing Tulips
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsApril 30, 2010
Mulching Tulips
Mulching Tulips
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Red tulips in bloom.
Tulip Photos
Tulips Not Blooming
Tulips Not Blooming
🎉
🎄