Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Oven Cleaner for Soap Scum

There are times that I have a problem with scum in my bathroom, whether it is on my sink, tub or toilet. Some of the bathroom cleaners do not work that well. Well as I was cleaning my stove with the spray on stove cleaner, I thought "Well, if it removes dried on food, couldn't it remove scum?" I gave it a go and sure enough it worked. I left it on for about 5 to 10 minutes, cleaned it off and my bathroom was left shining. Plus the fumes are not as harsh as using other cleaners such as Ajax or Clorox.

By Tomnsaby from Albuquerque, NM

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By DEBY [18]01/12/2010

Cannot recommend it enough, use CLR it also removes hard water deposits.

By Ariela [31]10/25/2009

I would be afraid it would remove the finish of the sink or tub.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using Oven Cleaner for Soap Scum

I use the low odor oven cleaner on my shower doors to remove soap scum that won't come off with any other product that I have tried.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

RE: Using Oven Cleaner for Soap Scum

Thanks for the heads up. That sounds like a great idea. I live in a very old apartment and can't get my bathtub clean for anything. I think I have tried just about everything so this couldn't hurt. Thanks again. (09/03/2006)

By TonyaG