SaucesRecipes

How Do I Make Homemade Brown Gravy?

Does anybody have a recipe for homemade brown gravy?

By Esther from Hanover, PA

This is my method for making brown gravy. When you cook a roast add an inch or more water to the container to start with and when the meat is done remove it while you make the gravy. If you want a clear gravy you will need to strain your broth; personally I like the flavor the scrapings from the pan give the gravy. If you are watching fats in your diet let your broth cool and scrape the fat off the top of the broth; or use a gravy separator.

Bring your broth to a simmer; while it is heating mix 1/3 cup warm water and 1/3 cup cornstarch together. When your broth is simmering slowly pour a thin stream of your cornstarch mixture into the broth stirring constantly. I like to use a whisk it keeps me from having lumps in my gravy. How much cornstarch you will need depends on how much broth you have. If after letting it simmer for a few minutes it is not thick enough make some more cornstarch mix and add a little at a time until you are satisfied with the thickness of you gravy.

If you do not have any pan drippings, make a small batch of butter/flour and add a cup or so of beef broth, bring to boil until thickened as desired. A pinch of salt and pepper and you will have homeade gravy in minutes.

Leave drippings in pan. Add enough flour to make paste (you will have to experiment with this to know how much as it depends on how much drippings you have). Stir flour into drippings then add a small amount of water and stir well. Keep adding a small amount of water and stirring until smooth until gravy is of consistency you desire. Add salt/pepper to taste, and voila! you have delicious brown gravy. The secret is adding small amount of water and stirring until smooth, otherwise adding too much water at a time will make lumps you cannot smooth out. Have been married 62 years and learned this from my mother.