Can Dogs or Humans Catch Worms From Cats?

We have several barn cats who are friendly, but I noticed recently that they had worms coming out of their back side. Our dogs are up to date with shots and flea stuff. Can those worms affect humans/dogs? The cats are just barn cats that have shown up and decided we're suckers. We don't have that kinda money to treat them, too.

By Darcie from WI

Yes! Worm meds are fairly cheap; you just put it in their food.

They might be tapeworms. They need a different med than other types of worms (we went through this last year with a stray kitten we adopted). Other animals (including dogs and people) get tapeworms by ingesting a flea (could swallow it while grooming, or even breathe it in). We tried topical treatments for the tapeworms and fleas, but they didn't work well for us, so he got one dose of an oral med (plus getting rid of his fleas), and we haven't had a problem since.

I've read that food-grade diatomaceous earth can be taken internally for the worms, but I haven't tried it, and I don't know anything about how much/often.

If they are tapeworms they need to be treated by a Veterinarian. There is NOT an over the counter medication to treat them. Please take a fecal sample to your Veterinarian and have them treat your fur baby...I have worked for a Vet for over 27 yrs.

Easy, inexpensive, dogs, cats, even us humans. Safe, natural, for all intestinal worms (won't work on heart worms) Food grade (garden grade had poisons that can kill) diatomaceous earth sprinkled on their food. 75% of humans have worms. Not any animals fault. I ordered by the gallon of powder. It was enough for years of everything I could get my hands on. I paid about $9. Can be used safely in your garden for bugs. Use for pets, livestock and yourself. Many benefits other than worm removal. No, I don't sell it or am i any part of earth works. Took a while and found this as pure and safe with good directions and reasonable.

Remedies for Worms in Cats
Health & Beauty AdviceMay 28, 2010
Worm in the Lawn
Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
A dog and its owner.
Can Humans Catch Worms From Dogs?
A veterinarian holding a dog.
Remedies for Worms in Dogs
Kitten With Worms
Treating a Kitten With Worms